Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

yahoopublisher.co.uk!!! Need Expert Advice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:huh: A few days ago I registered the domain name:

yahoopublisher.co.uk

in hopes of starting an online publishing portal. To my unknowing, Yahoo! inc had k=just launched a beta of their advertising network called: Yahoo Publisher. This was made known to me by a gentleman here (who's name I will keep private). This gentleman further went and told me that a person at Yahoo might be interested in the name as this person from Yahoo had purchased a few yahoo related domains from him. The gentleman went about and gave me the contact email of the person at Yahoo! and I contacted him via email.

The summary of the email is basically give us the domain name and we'll reimburse you registering cost. But it gets a bit more interesting then that....

I would like to PM the email to someone who is familiar with situations like this. I feel like they were setting me up for entrapment and that I have a valid right to the name and that it DOES NOT infringe on their right as I am using the word 'yahoo' as it pertains to:n 1: not very intelligent or interested in culture [syn: yokel, rube, hick, hayseed, bumpkin, chawbacon] 2: one of a race of brutes resembling men but subject to the Houyhnhnms in a novel by Jonathan Swift [syn: Yahoo] (dictionary.com).....

My intentions were to open a publishing portal aimed at the MTVgeneration using 'yahoo' in front of 'publisher' as they pertain to literature and nothing else.

PLEASE advice :huh: !!!! It will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Domain Summit 2024

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will give it to them if i were you. You yourself know that yahoo is a TM. Developing any service under it will cost you a big damn problem. Why do you have to choose yahoo instead of yaya or yoyo?

Just give it to them and forget about it

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
your reasons wont hold up...

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yahoo will get it from you, without a doubt. But try and get some compensation , as I KNOW you have already paid someone a few hundred dollars in setting up a program for the site , right! You could recover that from them.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe you didn't know that Yahoo Publisher was launched by Yahoo. There was a thread on it started here on 8-3. Plus it has been talked about on every other board I am associated with.

Additionally, Yahoo is a TM. Migth as well save yourself much trouble and grief.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I honestly had no idea. I found about it weeks after it was launched. I'm not denying that Yahoo! is a trademark. What I want to know is if I can use the name for my publishing site. I had nor have any intention on using the name in any kind of capacity that Yahoo! uses it which if I'm not mistaken is for marketing and online advertisement like google. I've ben around the dmain scene for a while, but have never used anything like google or yahoo or any online marketing- pretty much a newbie in those areas. I could care less about Yahoo! and what they do. I graduate with an English degree and I taught it would be funny as a joke to and of the MTVgeneration to use yahoo like Jonathan Swift used it in his book. How is that TM violation? I would really like to keep the name if possible and save myself the hassle; however, if there's anyway I could keep it given the fact that it would be used for something outside of Yahoo!'s expected usage of the name, please let me know.

Anyone keen with Trademark laws and who have dealt with C+Ds and stuff like that, please advise. I would like some advice aside from 'just give it back'. Help me understand why? Again I'm new to the Trademark aspects of things so I'm just trying to understand if I am genually in the wrong despite ignorance and using 'yahoo' in front of the word publisher.

Thank You for everyone who has responded and will respond, your advises will help me decide the best course of action.

Avalon426

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why is it that everyone screams entrapment when they don't even know what it means?

A person is 'entrapped' when he is induced or persuaded by law enforcement officers or their agents to commit a crime that he had no previous intent to commit.

As for the "publisher" part, that really doesn't matter, what does matter is the FAMOUS mark known as "yahoo". Please read this forum for other instances of famous trademarks and see how quickly and easily people lost against them.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yahoo is a registered trademark and well known. any unauthorized use, not matter what the intent, is not acceptable imo.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Searchsix.com said:
Yahoo will get it from you, without a doubt. But try and get some compensation , as I KNOW you have already paid someone a few hundred dollars in setting up a program for the site , right! You could recover that from them.

Yeah, I guess there is a concensis here. Yeah... I guess you guys are right... I just love the name though.... I will contact them today and let them know of my intent to let them have the name... and Searchsix I did pay a few $$$ for a software developement for the site. So hopefully I'll at least be able to get that back. If not, what a crappy way to learn a valuable lesson. Thanks everyone. I'm still open to any ideas or suggestion. I'll update on things.

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
your website is parked on sedo?
I thought that you pay hundreds bucks for software development!

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I switched all my domains yesterday to Sedo out of Parkingsite.com, yahoopublisher.co.uk was just in the bunch. It's just being parked there till site launch (which doesn't seem to be going to happen) I did pay $$$ down for software and webdesign development that are still undergoing and yet implemented. Asking me instead of jumping into conclusions would have been a better way for to phrase your thought aboutwhat.org. In any event, I've emailed Yahoo! and things are being squared away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom