Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

you may want to read this

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

Advertisers are getting useless traffic from PPC parking pages, nough said.

YOYOYO

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i can't agree with that

i find a well targetted "parked page" much more relevant and to the point, than many so-called "content pages," relevant and to the point because every bit of information on a well targetted parked page is being displayed because an advertiser believes in it enough to pay to have it displayed

the spyware allegations in the lawsuit are one thing, but to say "parked domain pages" are second rate and useless as the lawsuit claims is ridiculous

the real problem seems to be the way yahoo represented the source of traffic to advertisers, saying ads would be shown on "popular, high quality sites" and "with relevant articles, product reviews, and more"

for goodness sakes, how many "popular, high quality sites" are actually out there to even handle the millions of ads displayed every day

if yahoo had been more upfront on the source of the click throughs they could have avoided at least this part of the lawsuit, and if an advertiser doesn't want his ad displayed on a parked page he can take his business somewhere else, i have no idea though where he would go to find this "popular, high quality site" paradise he is looking for

brian1234

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Parked domain pages certainly are "second rate".
By their very nature, 'parked' pages incur little to
no effort and the pop-up ad/s that usually go with
them are dubious to say the least.

I think there will be a mass 'turn off' re: PPC within
the next few years; people are sick and tired of
being forced to visit crappy domains and look at
their links, when their expectation is to see a site
that is both relevant and interesting.

YOYOYO

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how second rate

all information is completely relevant on an optimized parked page

you are also very wrong to say "by their very nature, 'parked' pages incur little to no effort"

the owner of the domain name itself, is not usually the one who puts most of the effort into a parked page, although with some ppc services, such as smartname.com as reviewed on PPCIncome.com, it can take a domain owner up to an hour or two in setting up a well optimized domain, but it is apparently well worth the effort in the end as the cpm had tested out to be well over $100, by far the best performer of any ppc service tested.

while this is a bit unusual, the real effort for any optimized ppc page comes from the effort of the ppc service itself

to provide an optimized page with relevant links that pay a competitive amount a ppc service must negotiate with many internet web sites that offer a variety of services, while in the end that may be overture, google or any other large internet company, they are still conducting hours of negotiation to provide a domain name owner with relevant material to place on their web site.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I speculate that the click fraud is extremely minor compared to the total ppc market.

I also agree that the ppc pages will evolve over time.

And, not every domain can support the time, effort and interest in that domain.

Do you really want a major site on CrappyDomains.net ?

But, I'm sure people type the domain into the nav. bar.

eq78

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yoyoyo you have to understand people who have no traffic domains and earn 0 PPC always criticize PPC, Guess what I talk to regualr people every day in companies I put in a url they have no idea what a parking page is, AND most website designs suck LIKE there are millions of great domains developed by talented artists? NO Just because it is developed by some hack Using FRONTPAGE does not mean it is FIRST RATE.

demo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think if the advertisers were given the choice about which type of page their advertisements were displayed on and paid a different rate based on the type of page, that would a more ethical approach.

I would think the best place for your advertisement to be displayed is in the search results page, and the worst... a parked page. No offense but I have plenty of parked pages. Some are so unattractive (sedo for example) I believe people click on ads just to get the hell off the page.

I imagine there will be more class action law suits as time goes by. Google was also hit with a similar lawsuit recently.

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
We all (here) benefit from PPC services/being paid, but I honestly cannot think of a single time I went to a domain and found the ppc page useful (ie, sedo's, et al.) that I was interested in clicking through.

parking needs to evolve.

taboo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This has to do with Y! allowing fraudulent clicks into their network. Unless they compensate the advertisers and investors by settling outside it will cause a lot more controversy and finger pointing.

-- IMO PPC landing pages are no different than content integrated banner ads. As long as the traffic is natural, who is to proove the relevancy of the clicks?

Chaiki

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Re:
"I think if the advertisers were given the choice about which type of page their advertisements were displayed on and paid a different rate based on the type of page, that would a more ethical approach."

I think if the page is ugly but the intent of the visitors is focused and targeted and those visitors ultimately CONVERT into sales, THAT is all an advertiser cares about.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The allegations are very serious and point to conspiracy and fraud. However, the plaintiffs are reported to not be ready to disclose the source of their claims. If they are willing to throw this much sh*t around, they better be able to deliver. If charges get proven, will rock the online ad world.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was just discussing the YPN issue 2 days ago with some DNF members at Traffic show here in Vegas. We discussed how Yahoo! simply can't substain the network as it is. They are extremely attractive to publishers but in all honesty...how many of you advertise with Yahoo! ? I would guess very very few if any. The ads I see on YPN are crap and normally irrelevent to the site. YPN without advertisers will crumble. How long do you think the payouts will continue as they are?

all information is completely relevant on an optimized parked page

As for that quote...parked pages offer ZERO information. They only offer paid ad links and as another member stated..he has never clicked one. Neither have I really.

Parking needs to greatly change in leaps and bounds asap or risk becoming irrelevent. All it takes is one big story about click fraud and it's all over. I am sure parking has it's place somewhere on the web. It's my opinion that in its current form it's dead weight and useless.

eq78

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well Labrocca Ask Adam how useless PPC is

YOYOYO

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
labrocca

to say parked pages offer zero information is totally insane

especially after you say you've never even clicked a link on one, you can evaluate something by not even looking at it...

let's look at some parked pages and tell me where the zero information is

ticket.com
music.net
personalloans.com
mortgages.com

eq78

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with 'honest parking' where a generic domain points to a page of relevant PPC advertisers. That isn't going to go away and there is nothing wrong with it either. The user may click a link or go away. In addition, they are going to find plenty of dead pages too. Frankly, PPC sites (nor any other for that matter!) should use pop-ups and especially not the pop-ups that many registrars use when monetizing their customers names (while paying their customers no share of the take). You know the type! 'You've just been selected to win a new Dell laptop!', etc. Those are miserable and probably questionable legally as well. Frankly, if you've got a PPC page that gets a lot of click throughs, you're likely doing someone a service and the ad revenue generated is perfectly legitimate. If you have domains and aren't parking them, you should. Your 'lovely' registrar likely will park them for themselves and keep the PPC that they make off your domains for themselves if you don't.

Non-generic typos and spyware are another thing though. I doubt that many legitimate companies want ads delivered by methods that the customer never intentionally initiated and whose delivery is likely to be highly irritating. I suspect that I'd remember you well and make sure that I shopped the competition instead! I know that a lot of people here likely have TM misspellings but if nothing else, I sure wouldn't want my ad there if I was selling a legitimate product.

M

mole

radioz said:
Non-generic typos and spyware are another thing though. I doubt that many legitimate companies want ads delivered by methods that the customer never intentionally initiated and whose delivery is likely to be highly irritating. I suspect that I'd remember you well and make sure that I shopped the competition instead! I know that a lot of people here likely have TM misspellings but if nothing else, I sure wouldn't want my ad there if I was selling a legitimate product.

:hail: well said :hail: well said, radioz of the afternic forums fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators