• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

¨Wanted names¨ starter threads posters are mostly scammers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdGin

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
1,533
Reaction score
2
I just wonder if there is a way to prevent the waste of time of all of us...when answering to requested domains names in the Wanted Names section.

I know it´s the only one section where we can ask for specific domains, but lately or since I´m here...most of the starters of the thread don´t answer PM, neither in the thread itself so I wonder if there is a way to prevent that we waste sometimes a lot of time posting there and none gives a response....

Sometimes I think that the starters of those threads only want to catch ideas to register new names, to try to know better the market and so on....but have no real intention to buy. A lot have no itrade or just a few....

Maybe we can find a way to neutralize this bad attitude...

Just my 2 cents...:worried:
 
It's also rare to get normal responses to your "wanted names". One post in that section of the forum and you'll get tons of crap from newbies that does not meet your requirements.
 
that section drives me nuts too- it is rare that you will have a poster answer- yes you see newbies and even pros post the wrong suff- but half the time, the poster isnt even specific-

" i am looking for a business domain- thanks"

what are you supposed to do with that???
you will always have someone post wrong names, but it would be reduced a GREAT deal if they followd a simple posting template:

type of name you want:
budget range you are in:
are you looking for domains with traffic:
which tld's will you accept:
possibly a name or two of what you DO like, but can't have:

and i dont care how many pm's you get, it is just professional to reply with a no-thank you-
 
Some people have been here for more than 3 years, have no TR and regularly post requests for domains, yet they seem to never purchase.
Perhaps they are looking for ideas after all. I very rarely sell domains via the 'Domains wanted' section, what's more DNFers are looking for reseller pricing anyway... or a steal :smilewinkgrin:
 
i also wish you could lock the thread if you started it- it is amazing how many people do NOT read the thread, and drag up threads from last month, after the person said they bought one- it really clogs things up- if a poster has not responded in 7 days, any response, the thread should be closed by a mod. if you serious about a domain, you will make an attempt to make at least one post in 7 days.
 
I have to agree with the rest of you. The section is mostly a waste of time. Allot of us have good domians to sell that fit the buyers request perfectly yet no one bites.
 
I have to agree with the rest of you. The section is mostly a waste of time. Allot of us have good domians to sell that fit the buyers request perfectly yet no one bites.

yes, but it is also a good opportunity to get exposure to names that might not otherwise be advertised in the forums, I have bought a couple of names this way
 
yes, but it is also a good opportunity to get exposure to names that might not otherwise be advertised in the forums, I have bought a couple of names this way

For the seller, yes, and I too have bought some names that way. I think the poster is simply disappointed that the "buyers" never buy, other may but the original posters never do, which I concur.
 
I still have people sending me domains from thread requests started back in Oct 06 ..

But, good often comes with the bad. To find a good domain you have to sort through the bad ones. To find the right buyer, you might have to hit up the non-responding ones. :)
 
Usually I don't post the names. I send a PM, no prices stated, offers accepted.

Only once have I received a response. Didn't like it. "Has 8 letters, looking for something no more than 7."

Then post that criteria to begin with! This was obviously a bogus response.

Now, I just overlook them and keep on trucking.
 
When I put up a wanted thread I usually find 2-3 I like and usually find a name worth buying/in my budget 80% of the time. So personally its worked out.
 
I like the "wanted" thread only if the thread starter is specific.

I have done both, bought & sold domains, in this section.

I would say that it would be nice to get a response - even negative - when you pm someone in this section.

I usually do not like to post prices so If they say no pm's...I do not respond.
 
I like the wanted thread as well, however- I think it should be part of the rules that the thread poster NEEDS to respond to the thread within 5 days of posting else its closed.
 
Start a thread in the 'domains wanted' section and you will most likely receive tons of offers of domains you didn't ask for.
 
I read one them and it said LLLL only and people posted from LLLL to LLLLLLLLLLLL and it wasnt just 1 person who done it. There is also people asking for domains under $50 and people post XXXX $400 no offers, its no wonder people dont reply on some of them.
 
I like the wanted thread as well, however- I think it should be part of the rules that the thread poster NEEDS to respond to the thread within 5 days of posting else its closed.
Excellent idea. A timed limit. 5 days is very generous. Can't even see a WANTED post running any longer than 5 days to begin with. By then every one on site should have had ample time to respond to the request and the person making the post can either respond to the PM and update the post.

Some have been on for weeks now. Confusing to me at times wondering if I had already responded or if it is a new thread. Another reason why I just stopped responding altogether.
 
type of name you want:
budget range you are in:
are you looking for domains with traffic:
which tld's will you accept:
possibly a name or two of what you DO like, but can't have:
This should be integrated in to vbulletin and if any aren't filled out properly, they cannot create the thread.
 
I think a good portion of these posts are for "comps".

In other words, someone is interested in one of THEIR domains, so they post that they are looking for a similar domain to get an idea of what everyone else is asking. THEN, they know what they should ask.

That being said, I have posted in the Domains Wanted section when I was looking for a Golf Glove domains... had a great one proposed and I bought it. So it DOES work... but how often? Like 2% of the time?

Yeah, there has to be a standard.

Like:

Ext
Domain Catagory
Examples
Price Range
Time Frame to post (and then thread is closed)

GoPC
 
I just wonder if there is a way to prevent the waste of time of all of us...when answering to requested domains names in the Wanted Names section.

I know it´s the only one section where we can ask for specific domains, but lately or since I´m here...most of the starters of the thread don´t answer PM, neither in the thread itself so I wonder if there is a way to prevent that we waste sometimes a lot of time posting there and none gives a response....

Sometimes I think that the starters of those threads only want to catch ideas to register new names, to try to know better the market and so on....but have no real intention to buy. A lot have no itrade or just a few....

Maybe we can find a way to neutralize this bad attitude...

Just my 2 cents...:worried:

Well, I just have had an experience with this problem...a wanted thread was started...I pm'd a few names...the thread starter was interested in one of my names and asked for pricing...I send back a lower-mid xxx price (very fair price on this 5 letter .com name I snapped up for low xxx). I have heard nothing and the thread starter had been on the forum at least twice in the last day.

A simple 'no thanks' or 'I'm thinking about it' reply is all that is necessary.
 
I think the same that most of you.

The first thing to do is better formalize the domain requests.
So we have all the needed info to can propose names that really match what they are looking for.
I made a mockup of such form few months ago:
http://www.domainideas.com/getideas/

Also, if the people searching a domain needed to pay a small fee to submit their request, trust me, most scammers and fake requests will be stopped.

And if the amount of this fee was relative to the max amount the lead owner declare to be ready to pay for the searched domain then we will get domain leads of great interest.

This will stop the additionnal problem where someone is asking domains he cannot even pay and/or see if his request makes sense.

...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom