Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

20.com sold for $75,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

123water

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
20.com sold for $75,000

I think 20.com worth min 200K. Very easy keyin on mobile device.

Domain Summit 2024

Preoccupy

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What a beautiful and great domain!

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I bet we do not see many more NN.com sales for under $100k.

Also, I think the rule about numerics ending with "0" being worth more is not true for NN. Here is why. When you say "twenty dot com" that could mean:

twenty.com

or

20.com

But if you say "twenty nine dot com" then you prably mean "29.com".

forumrating

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
great domain, i felt it went for low cost,
20 is a great number, jus saw the site redirects to a blog, dont know $75k domain how its gona be utilized : )

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
great domain, i felt it went for low cost,
20 is a great number, jus saw the site redirects to a blog, dont know $75k domain how its gona be utilized : )

i disagree... 64.COM changed hands for less than 1/3 of that... still numerics are great investment so matt hold on to them ;)

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i disagree... 64.COM changed hands for less than 1/3 of that... still numerics are great investment so matt hold on to them ;)

I don't remember the 64.com sale. Do you have a link for that?

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also, I think the rule about numerics ending with "0" being worth more is not true for NN. Here is why. When you say "twenty dot com" that could mean:

twenty.com

or

20.com

But if you say "twenty nine dot com" then you prably mean "29.com".

um ... that really doesn't make much sense?

but anyhow, i think that 20.com most definitely should have been a six figure sale ... too low imo

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Most corporations do not allocate "6 figures" to obtain a name. Several sales complete in the $20k - $40k range.

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
um ... that really doesn't make much sense?

but anyhow, i think that 20.com most definitely should have been a six figure sale ... too low imo

This may be a subtle point but it is important. In language, people assume the simplest possibility for the spelling of any word or phrase. So if I tell you that you should visit "five eight three four dot com" you would probably type in 5834.com since "fiveeightthreefour.com" would be a long and complicated (difficult).

However, if I tell you my site is "ten dot com" maybe you will visit "10.com" or maybe you will type in "ten.com". In this case "ten" is just as simple a "phrase" as "10". So the owner of 10.com is probably loosing a lot of visitors to ten.com and vise versa. ANYTHING which causes you to leak visitors to a different domain DIMINISHES the value of your domain.

My argument is that "twenty dot com" is more ambiguous in this way than "twenty nine dot com", which people *most likely* assume is written 29.com, which is ths simplest possibility for that name.

Don't get me wrong, 20.com is a great domain name. My point is that so far as sales prices go, I don't see any advantage to having 20.com over having 29.com, even though numerics ending in "0" *tend* to be worth more than the others. The advantage of the 10 multiple gets wiped out by the disadvantage of more leakage and ambiguity.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good sale. Btw in which auction market was the domain sold? Besides i think $60k was a low ball offer for 20.com. Nevertheless, when developed, the name has a lot of potential.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its a good buy because all they have to do is keep it for a year and sell for double that.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great looking name. I believe other future NN .com sales will drag the value of 20.com up regardless of what this domain will be used for. I don't believe that you need to do anything with this name to make money. Only hold it. However it would be nice to see an original website at 20.com and I don't mean another search engine.

sevent

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
....However it would be nice to see an original website at 20.com and I don't mean another search engine.

Right now it seems to be redirecting to a blog: http://www.calacanis.com/

Interesting use of a $75k numeric domain with no obvious connection. Does anyone know anything about the new owner?

D

Deleted member 70408

less than that.... in my own experience prices for certain numerics have more than tripled in last 6 months

Well said. I think the reseller value of generic numeric names (without special meaning) is as follows:

NN.com - high $xx,xxx - low $xxx,xxx
NNN.com - low $xx,xxx - mid $xx,xxx
NNNN.com - $200 - $450

NN.net - low $xx,xxx - mid $xx,xxx
NNN.net - $900 - $2,000
NNNN.net - $12 - $30

NN.org - high $x,xxx - low $xx,xxx
NNN.org - $250 - $500
NNNN.org - reg. fee - $12

This is just my opinion of what the market is like for the average numeric name. Premium names (even numbers, numbers with meanings...etc) will command a premium price. Numerics that contain 0s tend to diminish the value unless it is a premium with a special meaning, like 500.com or 007.com.

It seems that NNN.net and NNNN.com names continue to increase quite a bit in value every month because they remain affordable for much of the market and they are very usable, which may not be the case for some .org names.

What does everyone else think?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
As Intel found out in the 386/486 era, numbers cannot be trademarked. Therefore it's an investment with little risk.

123water

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think .com Numerics domain names worth 20-100 more than .net domain names.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This may be a subtle point but it is important. In language, people assume the simplest possibility for the spelling of any word or phrase. So if I tell you that you should visit "five eight three four dot com" you would probably type in 5834.com since "fiveeightthreefour.com" would be a long and complicated (difficult).

However, if I tell you my site is "ten dot com" maybe you will visit "10.com" or maybe you will type in "ten.com". In this case "ten" is just as simple a "phrase" as "10". So the owner of 10.com is probably loosing a lot of visitors to ten.com and vise versa. ANYTHING which causes you to leak visitors to a different domain DIMINISHES the value of your domain.

My argument is that "twenty dot com" is more ambiguous in this way than "twenty nine dot com", which people *most likely* assume is written 29.com, which is ths simplest possibility for that name.

Don't get me wrong, 20.com is a great domain name. My point is that so far as sales prices go, I don't see any advantage to having 20.com over having 29.com, even though numerics ending in "0" *tend* to be worth more than the others. The advantage of the 10 multiple gets wiped out by the disadvantage of more leakage and ambiguity.

I guess this is a bit like homophones which I think are words sounding the same, spelt differently with different meanings. eg brake and break. The down side being that you have to spell out your domain every time you say it. I avoid them.

My gut feeling is that 20.com rises above these issues. It may always be completely useless as a website. However just the fact that it is such a low .com number will I think always makes it desireable and important no matter what it's used for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom