• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

4 letter dotcom registration trend

Status
Not open for further replies.

3par

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
227
Reaction score
0
Below is the llll.com remaining trend:

date available dec percent
3/1 101422 22.19%
3/15 98717 2705 21.60%
4/1 95691 3026 20.94%
4/15 92480 3211 20.24%
5/1 89394 3086 19.56%
5/15 87861 1533 19.23%
6/1 83512 4349 18.27%
6/15 81825 1687 17.91%
7/1 80182 1643 17.55%

If current trend keeps, all will be gone by next Oct.

I am not able to post image here. You can go to dyyo.com for a graphic view.
 
3par said:
Below is the llll.com remaining trend:

date available dec percent
3/1 101422 22.19%
3/15 98717 2705 21.60%
4/1 95691 3026 20.94%
4/15 92480 3211 20.24%
5/1 89394 3086 19.56%
5/15 87861 1533 19.23%
6/1 83512 4349 18.27%
6/15 81825 1687 17.91%
7/1 80182 1643 17.55%

If current trend keeps, all will be gone by next Oct.

I am not able to post image here. You can go to dyyo.com for a graphic view.

very well done, website added to my favs

cheers
 
Fatter, you are welcome to have you own thread to talk about values of 4 letter dot com. What I am reporting here is just plain facts. People should make their own judgement by looking the sale number. Look at the the outlet like ebay or tdnam, you may have a better picture.
 
fatter said:
I think most 4 letter domain registrations are from hype in the domain business, mainly from people who control a lot of 4 letter domains. I dont see a business model where they can be utilized unless the abbreviations or word means something or is easily remmembered like chit etc. with the low price most are selling for I think a lot of domainers will lose money when comparing reg fees against sales, trying to remmember random 4 letter domains is pretty difficult to build a website around them so i just dont think there is a use for most of the combinations now available

I concur. IMO, the only value if any will come primarily from domainer to domainer sales, same as names like XQY.COM only longer and less valuable, where's the real value?
 
my apologies 3par i didnt realize you were speaking of your site(which by the way is a good tool) i thought the conversation was about 4 letter domains i will delete my previous posts
 
I just sold a 4 letter .com last week for $6500.. it was not even pronounceable.
 
Yeah, they not be pronouncable, to be worth something.

A lot of searches in the search engines for these combinations will more often then not, yield at least a few results for organizations who use it as an acronym for their full name, whome probably represent your best bets for a potential sale...
 
Thanks for the resource 3par...

Interesting enough I found one on there that is an actual city name (not abbreviated). Think I should reg it?
 
July 9 down to 75.5k available.

There are zero 4 letter domains available without q,z,x,g,v,j,w,k,y,u,h
 
3par said:
Below is the llll.com remaining trend:

date available dec percent
3/1 101422 22.19%
3/15 98717 2705 21.60%
4/1 95691 3026 20.94%
4/15 92480 3211 20.24%
5/1 89394 3086 19.56%
5/15 87861 1533 19.23%
6/1 83512 4349 18.27%
6/15 81825 1687 17.91%
7/1 80182 1643 17.55%

If current trend keeps, all will be gone by next Oct.

I am not able to post image here. You can go to dyyo.com for a graphic view.

interesting post.
thanks
Simon
 
RazorNF said:
Yeah, they not be pronouncable, to be worth something.

A lot of searches in the search engines for these combinations will more often then not, yield at least a few results for organizations who use it as an acronym for their full name, whome probably represent your best bets for a potential sale...


nice....what was it?

Cheers
 
yeah no wonder i sold few LLLL.com in tdnam these few days..
 
I wonder how many different possible combinations of 4 letters there are for the .coms? Maybe some of you math pros out there can enlighten me. I used to know how to figure that myself but I've forgotten and too lazy to look it up...Thanks.
 
I think some where around 460,000 if memory serves me right
 
yes... sells have been good lately.... I sold woxe.com on here for some good change a few months back.... received a low x,xxx offer for woxa.com last week which I turned down.... wish I had held on to woxe.com also :-( I just don't want 5-10 years from now to be wishing I had held on to my 4 letter .COMs as I know alot of people made that mistakes with the 2 letter .COMs.... thanks for posting your finds
 
dmtalk said:
I wonder how many different possible combinations of 4 letters there are for the .coms? Maybe some of you math pros out there can enlighten me. I used to know how to figure that myself but I've forgotten and too lazy to look it up...Thanks.

26 Letters in the alphabet....
(simply multiply 26 four times)

26*26*26*26 = 456,976

----------

Now, using some of the more popular letter combinations, using the following letters for the first three letters:

a,b,c,d,f,g,h,i,m,n,p,s,t (13 Letters)

Using the best last letter (a,c,g,i,n,s) - 6 letters

High-quality formula 13*13*13*6 = 13,182 (high-quality combinations)

----------

So, out of 456,976 possible combinations, I estimate there are between 10,000 and 20,000 high-quality 4-letter combinations.

----------

Looking at DNJournal's latest sales (Mon. July 3, 2006 - Sun. July 9, 2006), two 4-letter domains made the top 20, however one was a word (else.com, which sold for $8,200). KMAC.com sold for $7,100 (which comes close to my high-qualtiy formula... I did not include K as one of the first 3 letters).

Also (DOT NETS), zona.net sold for $1,702 and nrem.net sold for $1,539.

----------

There are 17,576 three-letter combinations. A high-quality 4-letter domain is better than a low-quality 3-letter domain. For example, I'd rather have ssss.com, abcd.com, wxyz.com, or bbbc.com than jzq.com.
 
it seems...they are ending faster:

A total of 71584 domain names are found.
 
italiandragon, as said on dyyo, there are at least 5 registrars testing those 4 letter domains constantly. They can register up to 10K domain at a time. The monthly net rate of registration is about 4~5K.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom