• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

50k investment! I need everyones opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Shaw

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
3,266
Reaction score
2
I just talked to a client that wants to help me invest into the domain business...

We were going over figures, and he mentioned that he would like to start off with investing $50,000 to start off with, and then work our way up from there.

My question is... what are my options, and for those of you that do large transactions, what is the best way to invest this money.

Please help me out, as ive told him I will get back to him in a few days after doing more research.

Thank you!
Andrew Shaw
 
i may not enough qualified to offer some advises, but f you like big gamble, i would suggest to invest in many quality .eu's for the start

less gamble- buy few traffic .com's

and for stable investment- my favorite is - always property to me

i like buy cheap property in non eu countries, which going to join eu, and i also like buy cheap properties in eu countries just before they integrating euros in da place

hm.., dono anything else really
 
If you have a history of buying names and selling them for great profits then you certainly know that $50,000 can be turned into at least $500,000 in assets in about a month or so....depending on how much you want to search names. Are you going to go after names at Drop Services, Expired Domain Listings, or are you going to go for some "Bigger Game" and buy names for a few K each and higher? It depends on what you are good at.

If this guy has a lot of money and is going to let you "run wild" with the money, then I would try to get on the plan of offering him a percentage on his money. You could go up to 50 percent and still make a killing, but you likely will get the deal done in the 10-12 percent range if that is what he is looking for. You can give him a piece of the action as well, but you would just be giving money away.....if he is releasing the 50K then give him a nice "normal" return and make the millions yourself.

Maybe it's a little early though. If you are not sure that you can turn the 50K into a lot more than that, then maybe wait a little longer before getting the money. You could also potentially partner up with a number of people on this site and turn them lose with the money. The people that make money with names make bucket-loads, while there are others who have never sold a name. Sounds like fun.
 
Hi Ashaw,

I've already managed several high end transactions and my company is handling large domain portfolios and investments for our clients, so I think I can give you some advice.

Just one question upfront to ensure I don't get anything wrong here: Does he want to give you some money which you may invest or does he want you to help him in investing money in the domain market? This is quite a different thing and the second would not be so good, in my opinion, because you do not really have any good idea about what to do with that bunch of money at the moment. So it would be quite risky to invest other people's money without exactly knowing what to do...

However, I would acquire one or two or maybe three top traffic domains with these $50,000 in order to monetize them. That's the best thing you can do right now, in my opinion.
 
Do what I do, go around calling up old original owners of old school premium .com or .org domains and throw money at them when you know you can immediately sell the domains for alot more...best is to start out by acting naive to the whole market and offer $100 for a domain worth thousands ON THE PHONE, then you either get a lecture, hung up on, or they say something like "could you go higher?" that's when you know you got a duck on the line and you can already see dollar signs in your head...remember not everyone with domains knows that there is a big market for them...same as many of them that don't resolve, the owners don't know they have an ovt w/e and so on and so forth...so make sure not to give any information when making an offer or lowballing...if they ask what you do for a living DON'T say "sell domains" lol - I say I "sell cars" and the Internet is a hobby..Good luck dude! :ok:

PS- let me know if it goes thru..I have some names you might be interested in!

Chris
 
Thank you guys very much for your replies.

WhoDatDog - Im not sure what to focus on, Ive never invested this much money into them.

Dodo- He is simply giving me 50k to invest in however I want.

Mocus- Thats a good idea!

Any other further suggestions anyone? I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Andrew Shaw
 
I agree with dodo1, with that kind of money buy some proven, top traffic .com names. Most reputable sellers should be able to provide you with some idea of the traffic/income the names generate. It is so simple that some people tend to overthink it, but get some generic keyword domains that are related to a commercial industry/product and already get traffic. These names have lower risk because they get type in traffic, and they are keyword names that are also brandable and would be easy to advertise.
 
^ Agree with the above. Also, if you are going for traffic domains, make sure you either get at least 6-12 months of real stats, or know the domain brings in the expected traffic.
 
I guess:

$50K:

70% - Traffic names .com (2 or 3 .coms). I agree with Dodo1

30% - high premium .infos domain names. For example, Travel.info, Miss.info, Art.info, Science.info etc. May be you can resell it for big money in one-five years. You can read about it here: http://www.dnbook.biz
 
Why are people bumping old threads again?
 
because nobody is selling any good names anymore Alot of newer "domainers" coming on scene who are reading articles in Biz 2.0 and other publications think they can get rich registering junk names like adskjwgbvibv.info and trying to sell them here for $10,000.
 
Ashaw said:
I just talked to a client that wants to help me invest into the domain business...

We were going over figures, and he mentioned that he would like to start off with investing $50,000 to start off with, and then work our way up from there.

My question is... what are my options, and for those of you that do large transactions, what is the best way to invest this money.

Please help me out, as ive told him I will get back to him in a few days after doing more research.

Thank you!
Andrew Shaw
If you aren't familiar with domain name investing it would be a better idea to do smaller clients first..
 
This thread was posted over 6 months ago

Thanks for your help guys, but ive got it from here... :closed_2:
 
Way old, lol. I remember reading this, I think Ashaw was platinum then too.
 
Ashaw said:
This thread was posted over 6 months ago

Thanks for your help guys, but ive got it from here... :closed_2:

Ah come on Andrew. I would have recommended smoking it, railing it, or pumping it through a vien.

50 grand well spent!
 
I never saw this thread before. Now I want to know what you did with it. Which direction did you go? Or did you snort it like Salient recommends?
 
Do we want the thread closed Ashaw?
 
I am actually still working with the same client. Id rather not discuss what we are doing quite yet... but will gladly update you when the time feels right.

Thanks POLiSH, I just didnt want people to spend the time explaining how to best invest the money on an old thread like this one.
 
Till Then! Thread closed..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom