• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Addiction???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubiquitous

Since 1997
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
May 5, 2006
Messages
398
Reaction score
0
This may seem like a strange thing to ask, but is it possible that someone could become addicted to searching and registering domain names all day and night for the shear satisfaction that it's stimulating, almost like a drug? Sometimes it's almost like I need someone to tell me to stop and go do something else for a while because of my habits. I do it mostly as a hobby, but now I'm thinking of myself as more of an addict in a sense. I'd like to sell one of my domain names eventually, however until I do I'll probably keep registering several names everyday for no apparent reason other than it's something fun to do. Has anyone else experienced this type of bizzare behavior? or am I just crazy?

:peace:
 
Absolutely, collecting can be an addiction. But until you start selling or monetizing, be honest and recognize that you are a collector, not an investor.
Most likely it will lose it's thrill at some point soon and you will not do it so often.
Communicating on these damn forums can be a bit addicting as well. You put up a comment and keep checking back to see who has responded and what they have to say.
 
It's very well-known behaviour, so you're not in a minority by any means Kingpin! Being behind a computer screen for many hours a day (like sometimes 12-14 in my case) is to me like an obsessive compulsive disorder. Then when you get withdrawal symptoms you know you're in trouble. I wonder how many people would admit to being fried when they can't check email at least once a day ...
 
All extra-ordinary people from Newton to Einstein share this same trait. It can aid you in becoming the next Bill Gates, or just as easily in becoming the next bum on the street. Asset or disability, it depends entirely on how you utilize it and how you keep it in check.
 
it is the quality of your work that matters here. just need to be careful not to overdo it without returns
 
it`s the same thing that happened in the stock markets.

Some people have fun just being part of it. Their fun finish when they don`t have anymore coin to insert in their game.
 
Here is a discipline that I suggest to keep from becoming an addict/collector:

1) Set a start-up budget and stop spending there.
2) After your start-up budget is spent, make sure that each month is cash-flow positive. Never spend more on purchases/registrations than you have collected from selling/monetizing.

This will force you to sell/monetize domains and will keep you from going broke collecting them.
 
Sure it is addicting...
I eat,drink, sleep Domainin :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom