Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

All your domains lost, for failure to respond to an email within 15 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you go on vacation for 3 weeks, how'd you like to come back and find ALL your domains gone, with no recourse because you failed to respond to an email? That might be common if the "WHOIS Accuracy" task force gets its way. See:

http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/nc-whois/Arc00/msg00806.html

where they expect a "15 day" response to any accuracy challenge. Ridiculous! I've responded on the DNSO/GNSO mailing list, and the OpenSRS discussion board, but others might want to speak out. Especially given the fact our digital holdings represent a significant amount of income/wealth, and we don't all have big corporate staffs/employees on call 7 days a week to respond to certain emails. Heck, one might even miss an email! (e.g. accidentally delete an email, thinking it was spam, or a server was down, etc.)

M

mole

Maybe someone could start a baby-sitting service for domainers on vacation :D

domainsitter.com

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's why you need an autoresponder. But for someone like me who LIVES on the Internet, having a vacation doesn't mean not checking your e-mail. You're not going to the South Pole, are you? :D

M

mole

Originally posted by nameslave
That's why you need an autoresponder. But for someone like me who LIVES on the Internet, having a vacation doesn't mean not checking your e-mail.

Time to get a life, slave :D

HotDot

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It's very possible for a hardcore computer-user to take a break without checking email, etc. Normally, I live on the computer 18 hours a day, but just returned from my three-week vacation where I was physically unable to check my email. I was in Chantaburi, Thailand, only a few kilometers from Cambodia. No modern technological conveniencies - no email.

If my domain names were to have "disappeared" because I didn't respond to an email within 15 days, you can bet your bottom dollar there would be a major court battle shortly thereafter.

-- Roy:mad:

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
aren't there like a couple of online webmail sites that feature "check your email by phone" options? Where the server converts the text into speech and plays it over the phone? this might be an option for anyone who vacations in an area that has phones but not easy net access.

HotDot

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
That may be a solution for some, but does no good at all for others like myself who vacation a couple times a year in remote jungle areas of third-world countries where even a telephone could pose a mystery to most residents of the lands. Ever try to find a telephone amongst the wilds of the Congo or the war-torn hills of Cambodia or Burma? Not an easy feat at all.

- Roy :eek:

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What should I have my autoresponder say? Thanks for your interest in sending me spam but my email address is indeed valid and active??

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well Hotdot, here is a sophisticated high-tech solution: get a friend you trust to check your domain emails. problem solved.

spamurai_warrior

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree. If it's that imprtant to you , and extended offline hiatuses are a normal routine, set the email addy for the WHOIS data as an alias if possible. Have it copied to someone you trust. Redunancy and coverage, Baby!!!

Also makes it easier to figure out where the spammers got your address. Helpful when passing info on to the ISp's, etc.

uncle

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
at least it's clear who our enemy is

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The logical solution would be to register your email addy with them , and then they wouldn't need to check it. Bet they would charge for this if it was introduced though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators