Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

AOL gives out free .com domains to anyone who asks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
AOL has just announced that it will give a free domain name to anyone who asks for one.

There's a catch. You don't own the domain name; AOL does. What you can do is use is use that domain as your e-mail address and your home page starting in September. So can your friends, family, and members of the same club, organization, sports team, and so on.

It's an intriguing idea, and one that's likely to gain some attention from folks who always thought of buying a domain name and never quite got around to it. It also solves the problem of what to do with a domain name once you purchase it: instead of paying a hosting company a few dollars a month, AOL takes care of everything at no additional cost.

The service, by the way, is called AOL My eAddress. AOL says it supports .com or .net domains, up to 100 e-mail identities per domain, 2 GB of storage, spam filtering, and open mail clients such as Outlook and Thunderbird through the IMAP protocol.

It's part of the company's recent strategy to stem the flood of defections (nearly 1 million in the second quarter) from dialup users who are switching to broadband and leaving AOL far behind. AOL already has lost more than a third of its subscribers since its peak in 2002.

From a financial perspective, the My eAddress service seems to make sense for AOL. The current wholesale price of .com domains is around $6 each, and because AOL is an accredited registrar it gets the best deal possible. That means AOL needs to generate at least $6 a year in advertising revenue (or upselling some users to premium services) per domain to make it worthwhile.

There's also a second way that AOL benefits. Good domain names are hard to find nowadays. AOL is enlisting its vast member base in a quest to locate the good ones, which it henceforth owns. If some fall into disuse, AOL should be able to sell them at a tidy profit.

Source: News.com.com

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice article, this could be a way for them to find some gems among the rocks. (Some sports team who regs a good name and AOL finds an infraction and resells) This is pretty neat. I probably will get some personal domains through this.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can not believe news.com does not know the fee is $6 + $.25 for ICANN

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice article jdk. this is another calculation by AOL to counter yahoo and google.

forumrating

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
very nice article, well aol surely gona make $6, but not sure what will happen for those whose domains are inactive !

any ways this way aol would get lot of fame

downdoggy

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
great.... I can think of a lot of domain names that I would like to register, just to lock up. This will be a limited time only thing... think about the amount of lawsuits that might be associated with people locking up.. iiibbbmmm.com instead of ibm.com - just for the heck of it.

no doubt does it change the landscape of domain registration....

Preoccupy

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the wonderful information!

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
btw-anyone managed to get a domain ?

Preoccupy

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Not me !

EGS

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think this is pretty cool but I wouldn't do it simply because AOL owns the domain and not you...so technically they can take it at any time they want and sell it if you are successful with it.

*slaps AOL*

Preoccupy

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I did not know about this, thank you for your opinion! :alien:

I think this is pretty cool but I wouldn't do it simply because AOL owns the domain and not you...so technically they can take it at any time they want and sell it if you are successful with it.

*slaps AOL*

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good marketing on AOL's behalf, but like everyone here says, because they'll end up owning it, I'm sure nobody on this forum is going to take them up on the offer - the deal is mainly to entice the same newbie market as those who use AOL for their ISP...

Bookworm SEO

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
People have been saying that domains are web estate ... it is now obvious they're equivalent to land. People build sites= the buildings on the land.

Interestingly, this is an extension of a real estate practice. I think the term is maybe emphyteusis. Anyways, the practice refers to a landowner partnering with a developer. Developer gets to use/build on the land for X number of years, after which whatever's there is the landowner's. developer doesn't need to acquire the land, and the owner gets free development once the time expires (except it's usually long, like minimum 20 years, I think).

I think AOL is more than going to make back their money from the domains. cheap land, and they're probably going to get lots of hobbyist, very intensely developed sites in return. very smart move, IMHO.

nWo

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
People have been saying that domains are web estate ... it is now obvious they're equivalent to land. People build sites= the buildings on the land.

Interestingly, this is an extension of a real estate practice. I think the term is maybe emphyteusis. Anyways, the practice refers to a landowner partnering with a developer. Developer gets to use/build on the land for X number of years, after which whatever's there is the landowner's. developer doesn't need to acquire the land, and the owner gets free development once the time expires (except it's usually long, like minimum 20 years, I think).

I think AOL is more than going to make back their money from the domains. cheap land, and they're probably going to get lots of hobbyist, very intensely developed sites in return. very smart move, IMHO.

about 1999 Namezero.com was doing this, then about 2000 they pulled
the free domains names, you had to pay from $50 to $1000 to get them
back, not before putting spam links on the site!:censored:

yesbrilliant

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Yeah. That is exactly what Donald Trump does with a handful of his ventures and anyone knows he is making money, a lot of money. Also, 50 to 100 years (yes, up to a century) developing the "land" is Not uncommon. But, we have to note Donald Trump has an army of extremelly well paid lawyers to assure everything will work according to his plans and no "landlord" would take his developments in the meantime. I don't think anyone here at dnforum plans to spend time and money with lawyers for something that now costs $6.25

Just my oppinion. Great article anyway.

YesBrilliant

AbdulBasit.com

www.AbdulBasit.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Where is the link to register and get free .com .net domain from AOL?

yesbrilliant

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Does AOL want ownership of content, images, scripts... as well?

Certainly they don't need it but would be interesting to know.

YesBrilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom