Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Auction gripe: DomainSage

Status
Not open for further replies.

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:sigh:

I'm not normally a complainer. I try to avoid calling people out. I try to keep my business to myself.

But I am pissed.

As you can see on the auction results page, tonight I won a domain name from DomainSage for $1. But he's not willing to sell it for that much.

During the auction, DomainSage said the starting price was supposed to be $20 and then left the chat. My $1 bid won.

Later, I PM'd him to get the transaction rolling and this is what followed:
DomainSage wrote:
Yes, please send the $75 to *****@******.com through Paypal. Thanks.

gourd wrote:
$75?! It was $1.

DomainSage wrote:
$1? Greg made a mistake. I posted it at $75.

gourd wrote:
The list has been up since Friday with the starting prices listed. You had ample time to change your opening bid. And besides, even after the auction ended in the chat you said that it was a mistake, that your opening bid was $20 - and then you left. Now you're changing it to $75? What's the deal?

DomainSage wrote:
I didn't need to change it. The first time I put it on the list, I put it at $75 for the starting bid. I don't know why it started at zero. There must've been a mistake, because my names were one of the first on the list and when auction time came they ended up at the end. If you are interested in buying it, I can make a deal for you at $50.

$50!? What a deal! Especially considering the $20 mention in the chat. :rolleyes:

I told him if he did not make good on his deal, I would post of my experience with him on the board and this was his response:

Please complain to gregr and tell him my story of how I posted it at $75 and how it became zero. Maybe then he can e-mail me and explain to me what went wrong. Anyways, I'm a generous person and I can make you a deal at $50 instead of $75. If you would like to deal, let me know, if not then sorry do not waste my time.

God forbid I waste his time. Hell, I would be long in bed by now if it wasn't for his bullsh*t. Quite a few users had auctions end for $1. I'm sure that's a lot less than they'd hoped for, but they were men enough to bite the bullet and sell anyway. It's all in good fun.

I apologize for the tirade, but I needed to get that out. Please be wary if you deal with this guy... I'm not even going to go into what else he tried to pull during the auction. But anyone else feel free to do so. :)

Cynthia, hater of all spoil sports :razz:

Upvote 0

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I should point out when DomainSage said "why is the starting price $0?" the auction timer had expired. I'm sure if he got bids of $20 or more he wouldn't have made that statement.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by lotsofissues
Very difficult for greg to ban someone...

You have to allow for redemption. I am believer in people redeeming themselves. Trusting them again...now that is a different ball game. As I said before, in this business "trust" is everything. Without it, you might as well sell your "wares" to third world countries who never heard of domain names before.

izopod

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look, ma, i'm on TV! Point8T enters the room! Well, not quite.... Almost Famous i guess lol

Anyway, i cought that little moment there although it ended quickly and since the rules were that you should only speak up if bidding, i decided not to comment on the issue as gregr was handling it as it looked.

Looking at it now (after another member on the forum pointed me to the fact that DS was behind some BS) i have to say that it makes me very happy. Why, you ask? I am relatively new to this community and all this time, i have been wondering about the behind the scenes play or lack of it. I was there during the auction and i couldnt help myself, i kept thinking "what are the chances that people are jacking up the prices?". THis thread clears it. WHile DS is no doubt a black eye, the rest of you guys are an outstanding bunch of individuals. Honesty and integrity are hard to come by these days as eBay is completely flooded with fake auctions (yeah, sometimes i get pissed and ask the sellers "wasnt selling the domain 3 times already enough for you?"). I am glad to see that dnForum is in good hands and that there are still those who do uphold the basic values that make this world go around. Good knowing you guys.

As for DS, he can not remain here and that is not something that should even be voted on. He has to be banned. If you let this happen once, it will happen again and again and then we turn into the old Afternic and slowly fade away.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
I should point out when DomainSage said "why is the starting price $0?" the auction timer had expired. I'm sure if he got bids of $20 or more he wouldn't have made that statement.

Valid point. If there was something wrong, the seller would have stopped the auction right away and noted the incorrect starting price. It is a classic case of "Lets make it $0 and if i dont get what i want for it, i will act confused and scream about the price being wrong"

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting posts all...It's cool to see so many people coming together and trying to protect what we are all doing here. I do find the whole shill bid/url.net very suspicious but it also has occured to me that one explanation for the 0 starting bid on the other domain might be due to the 2 being mistakenly deleted from a 20 when the text was copied & pasted at some point...

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by E-Promote
Interesting posts all...It's cool to see so many people coming together and trying to protect what we are all doing here. I do find the whole shill bid/url.net very suspicious but it also has occured to me that one explanation for the 0 starting bid on the other domain might be due to the 2 being mistakenly deleted from a 20 when the text was copied & pasted at some point...

The price was in the middle of what was copied and pasted. The $0.00 price is locked in on the auction listing found here http://dnforum.com/auctionlist.php?sunday=2003-01-12

There is something that has bothered me about you since Sunday night. Why did you make this statement?

E_Promote: price is too low

Did you really believe $8,000 was too low for url.net?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gregr I was being sarcastic, I could'nt believe someone would bid 8k on that domain right away. So much for sarcasm thru chat...

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by E-Promote
gregr I was being sarcastic, I could'nt believe someone would bid 8k on that domain right away. So much for sarcasm thru chat...

Good, thanks.

Yeah I didn't hear the voice inflection. :)

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's at least one rotten apple in every bushel.

Discard it and the others taste so very sweet.

I agree with Doc... kill him! ;)

Seriously, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Perhaps additional scrutinization of new member applications (to the ip level) and potentially an audit of all existing members is warranted.

Additionally credit card / paypal validity checks would ensure fiscal responsibility.

Just my two pennies, take it or leave it.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the staring price was $75 why did you say it was $20 during the auction?
Why did you continue with the next name like nothing happend?
Did you or didn't you bi on your name url.net?

Originally posted by DomainSage
I'm not even going to respond to half of the idiots on this board because they are below my intelligence level.

As for the deal with groud, that is taken care of.

This whole problem was caused by gregr. I posted my name with a starting price of $75 and he ended up auctioning it at a starting bid of $0. Now even gregr knew there was something wrong to that, nobody starts the auction at $0. I added the domain to the list, why was I suppose to check back every day to see if the price would change? When you add something to the list, you would expect the price to be the same as when you added it.

I have nothing else to say. You guys entertain yourselves.

lux

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr. Sage and I have resolved our little issue, so you can cease a little bit of the fire (just a little).

After reading this thread, he PM'd me asking if would comply with $35. I declined stating I wouldn't pay more than $20, and he accepted. I even took a leap of faith and PayPalled him before I had the domain in my account, and he came through.

Greg, feel free to credit DomainSage his dnf bucks back. He seems to be concerned about those more than anything.

I just hope this week's $1 auction doesn't turn into a "oops, I meant $20.. no $75! okay $50... how about $35...? okay, okay $20" auction. :D

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's good news Cynthia. Glad to hear that you finally got the name. I'm sure everybody is! :)

I just hope it's not too late to stop stocdoctor..........

He left here a few hours ago with a rope - and an angry look on his face. :eek:

painperdu

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod

To DomainSage: You'll find that reputation is everything in this business. Without it, you have no business (izopod, circa 2003)

izopod

Ahem, that should read: You'll find that your good name is everything in this business (GNU-GPL, 2003)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gourd
Greg, feel free to credit DomainSage his dnf bucks back. He seems to be concerned about those more than anything.

LOL - I always knew money was more important than reputation to some people - but DNF Bucks!? :)

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gourd

gourd you are the beneficiary of Mr. Sages other misdeeds. The bulk of his fine was the result of his other infraction. If you feel guilty, feel free to return 25 DNF$ Mr. Sage. If you still feel guilty, donate the other 575 DNF$ to any worthwhile charity.

Keep in mind, your real price should have been $1.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is $75 (or $20) worth ruining your reputation? So it went for $1. Swallow it and keep on walking. Its not like we are talking about a $75,000 name here. its worth $20 if that, so you would have lost $19. For $19 you started all this and now i bet if you could you would pay$19 just to get your name into the clear (and you did, but its too late.) Be a man, suck it up, round up your losses and learn from your mistakes. For $19 i think you got one hell of a lesson.

P.S. For some reason you found your words when it came to the $0 starting price (although i think its BS anyway), but you completely avoided commenting on your bid on your own domain. Care to explain that?

Face it, most of us dont know eachother here. I have never met anyone of the members. I have nothing to attach to a member's name besides his word and thats what i judge him by. Same with me, if my word has no weight, i am nothing on these boards. Same with you, DS, the only thing you had, you traded for $19. Now you have nothing.

dataware

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1.00 or 75.00

we are not talking thousands...
if domain sage is serious he should pay the 75.00 and move on....

it is obvious, if i was in his boots... i would think twice....

Hey Sage... do yourself a favour....

apologise
pay
and move on...

your making too many enemies.

all the best...

LOrenzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom