Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.biz continues it's stead rises upward

Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In terms of new business sites using the dot .biz gTLD I think the numbers are rising steadily.

I personally have (2) dot biz sites up right now (1 complete one in development), and tomorrow plan to upload another one in development;

http://www.canoe.biz (completed)
http://www.protection.biz (in development)
http://www.circle.biz (upload tomorrow)

izopod

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod
In terms of new business sites using the dot .biz gTLD I think the numbers are rising steadily.

I personally have (2) dot biz sites up right now (1 complete one in development), and tomorrow plan to upload another one in development;

http://www.canoe.biz (completed)
http://www.protection.biz (in development)
http://www.circle.biz (upload tomorrow)

izopod

I like canoe.biz. If you need a sound track of mosquitos, I can help (live in Minnesota) :)

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomeBase

I like canoe.biz. If you need a sound track of mosquitos, I can help (live in Minnesota) :)

LOL!

I know you what you mean. I grew up in Duluth, MN. You never stayed out past 8 o'clock in the evenings otherwise you'd come back in a body bag!

Izopod

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.biz is definitely growing. Over 700,000 regs already.

But I do hope it keeps to the business namespace it is supposed to represent and not become diluted with trash like .com.

.biz stands a chance as a niche tld if neustar police it well.

but money talks, and if the better registrants don't take it up - the "trash" registrants will until the best terms are taken then it's as good as choked to death.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
safe, which do you think is the better generic TLD of the two: .biz or .info?

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I agree.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys

.biz sounds very unbusinesslike to me.

To each is own I guess.

biz does mean business in the new economy.

izopod

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Biz sounds "fly by night" to me.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoobar
Biz sounds "fly by night" to me.

O.k that is twice now I heard the words "sounds like". Let's be real. If it is generic and it is biz, they sound much better than the two word dot orgs/nets that are out there being peddled on the market. As for the bad com's, I'd much rather have a one-word generic biz name. But that's just me.

Biz for many reasons will come into it's own. Not because I say so or because you don't think so. Businesses need URL addresses. Biz is for businesses and businesses market their URL addresses. It's a matter of surival. It's how the "funny looking" dot com ended up everywhere. I do remember back in 1996 how some thought the dot com on the end of a business name made it sound "unprofessional". We all know differently now because we forgot the most basic element of business strategy: Marketing your name so people will find you. So when you say a TLD ending "sounds funny", I get the feeling you don't understand.

In the end it comes down to "business plans" and "market timing" whether a site will succeed. The TLD is irrevalent.

izopod

Personally, I'd be embarassed to give out a .biz address as my email or web site to any corporate client.

It sounds like ."wannabe professional" - and thats just not an image any serious business wants to project imo.

its like the people who use .ltd.uk over this side of the world, thinking touting the fact they're limited makes them better - their clients EXPECT them to be limited in the first place - likewise clients of .biz users KNOW they're a business already.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys
Personally, I'd be embarassed to give out a .biz address as my email or web site to any corporate client.

It sounds like ."wannabe professional" - and thats just not an image any serious business wants to project imo.

its like the people who use .ltd.uk over this side of the world, thinking touting the fact they're limited makes them better - their clients EXPECT them to be limited in the first place - likewise clients of .biz users KNOW they're a business already.

All this coming from somone who recommended "New.net" to someone on this board.

I guess it comes down to who is "right". I don't base decisions on such subjective thought processes. Biz is a gTLD, much different then a ccTLD such as .ltd.uk.

The difference is .biz is already global. Specifically was approved to be used for business. It's already being used in commerce. It's already being promoted by small businesses (where you'd expect things to start). Meanwhile, your telling clients to stay away because it "sounds" wannabe professional??? Bad decision my friend. Very bad in my judgement, but everyone has to come to their own conclusions. I choose to look at the facts. Not a lot of businesses are promoting themselves soley with the dot info, dot net's have been branded negatively, org is out of the question, and most certainly new.net fourth level domains.

izopod

I've never recommended new.net, not ever, not once.

No, I'm not telling clients anything - I'm relaying my own opinions based on first hand experience of being in business for the past 8 years.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As was said, each to his own, and for some folks, myself included, there's something about .biz that doesn't seem to sit well. I guess you either love it or you don't.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by fizz
As was said, each to his own, and for some folks, myself included, there's something about .biz that doesn't seem to sit well. I guess you either love it or you don't.

yeah... there's something about the last couple letters...

iz... izz... that kind of sound. :laugh:

Lew

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Any TLD has its work cut out for them when trying to compete with .com - too many dollars and pounds have been spent, and continue to be spent marketing the "dot com" .

It is practically synonymous with the internet business itself.
They don't talk about the "Internet" bust - they call it the "dot com" bust.

Tough upward battle for any TLD - many people will visit the .com when they see an advertisement for "any" TLD, it's just too well known to not check it out. So any advertising spent on any TLD will have some spillover to the .com. Thats tough to compete with.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomeBase
yeah... there's something about the last couple letters...
iz... izz... that kind of sound. :laugh:

LOL. That's it DB, you've unearthed my repressed psycological resentment towards phonetic similarity :) You're in the wrong profession, you could be one of those dudes with a couch in his office...and I don't mean a movie producer :)

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well the thing is that many people do not understand what a new extension is. They are used to the old ones.
I was just telling a friend of mine about the new gTLDs and while .info sounded totally normal, .biz made HER laugh.
I think she thought it sounded like a fly or a man sleeping.(the zzzz sound)
I own a couple of .biz (my webdesign company uses one) but it just made me think.

Originally posted by izopod

O.k that is twice now I heard the words "sounds like". Let's be real. If it is generic and it is biz, they sound much better than the two word dot orgs/nets that are out there being peddled on the market. As for the bad com's, I'd much rather have a one-word generic biz name. But that's just me.

Biz for many reasons will come into it's own. Not because I say so or because you don't think so. Businesses need URL addresses. Biz is for businesses and businesses market their URL addresses. It's a matter of surival. It's how the "funny looking" dot com ended up everywhere. I do remember back in 1996 how some thought the dot com on the end of a business name made it sound "unprofessional". We all know differently now because we forgot the most basic element of business strategy: Marketing your name so people will find you. So when you say a TLD ending "sounds funny", I get the feeling you don't understand.

In the end it comes down to "business plans" and "market timing" whether a site will succeed. The TLD is irrevalent.

izopod

T

Tee

Izopod, safesys is not a New.net supporter as far as I can gather. And I very much doubt he recommended New.net to anyone. If he did, can you show that thread? It would be very interesting to see.

My favorite extension is definitely .info, and has been since it was first announced and way before I actually got any names. I never liked .biz mainly for the reasons stated in this thread. It just rattles the teeth with the z thing and sounds kind of slangy. And I really always disliked the rdrp restrictions. Its like they are trying to handicap the thing as much as possible. However, the opposite side is, if you try and sell them speculatively, you can lose them. So, they kind of force you to use them somehow since actively marketing just the name for resale can get you in trouble and you could lose your name via rdrp. So in a sense, they force you to do the really sensible thing which is to make a site and maybe generate some steady income. That part I like personally. I also thought initially that neulevel/neustar showed some class and high ethical behaviour by deleting those blatant .biz violations and by questioning certain registrars practices. It does seem however that the open communication has stopped. I do love my .biz names.

I'd rank em (besides .com):

.Info
.US
.Biz
.org
.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom