• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

.BIZ & .INFO Are They Worthless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Nic
If domain extensions were soft drinks (sodas), the .com is BOTH Pepsi and Coke..... hmm i think i'm thristy!:)

I agree :)

"Brands. 1) Sprite share up +0.7 point. 2) Dr Pepper and Mt Dew only other brands gaining share. Mt Dew now within 1.3 mil cases of Dr Pepper; ahead of #7-ranked Diet Pepsi. 3) neither leading cola brand -- Coke Classic/Pepsi-Cola -- gains share. Classic flat while Pepsi down -0.1. 4) each of 4 diet brands in top-10 -- Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Caffeine-Free (CF) Diet Coke, CF Diet Pepsi -- loses -0.1 share point. 5) DPSU's 7UP down -0.1 share point. 6) despite share loses by 7 of top-10 brands, top-10 group gains +0.3 share relative to entire industry mainly due to Sprite's explosive growth."

http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cach...7.html+coke+pepsi+market+share&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
 
Of course, once you're making beverage analogies, somebody might liken some of the more selective TLDs (.edu, .gov, .mil, .int, .aero, .museum, etc.) to fine wines... only a select clientele can fully appreciate them, and their makers have absolutely no interest in trying to exceed Coca-Cola (or, for that matter, even mass-market wines) in sales, but those in the know are aware of their fineness and they command high prices for the best vintages.
 
is there actually .museam extension????

In that case, i believe in future we will be breaking our heads more on choosing the extensions than the domain itself. Whats next ? .porn ? .shop . .theatre .car ?

I wish somebody put a limit to these no. of extensions.
 
Funny when someone digs up these old threads. I still stick to my original post here saying that any and all extensions other than com were "worthless" and I'm still willing to acquire and refund the registration fees for thousands of these domains. After 3 years it's pretty clear that the registration of names like Cards.biz and SantaClaus.info were a complete waste of funds, and .coms were the only way to go.
 
Duke said:
I don't care much for .biz unless it is for a whimsical kind of business (I only have one - SpaceShips.biz).

Ah, the good ol' days...
 
syed said:
is there actually .museam extension????

In that case, i believe in future we will be breaking our heads more on choosing the extensions than the domain itself. Whats next ? .porn ? .shop . .theatre .car ?

I wish somebody put a limit to these no. of extensions.

Yes, (well actually "museUm") and .coop too. There's probably no limit to the number of extension in the sponsored variety, as long as organizations can come up with 100 Grand or so to thow at it.
 
it is funny to read what Duke wrote then. How things have changed :-)
 
seeker said:
it is funny to read what Duke wrote then. How things have changed :-)

OK, so now I have two of them. But if we go out in public I make them walk at least six feet behind me so no one will know we are together. :-)
 
In another thread, I kept stressing the point
"never say never".

In exactly 3 yrs, most of the points made above have been proven wrong.

Doc - I won't even bring up your statements!!!

I will pick on Duke since he is a friend. :-D

Duke said "There is NOTHING left in .com. " At that time, there were approx.
22 million registered .com's. Today, approx. 45 million.
http://dnjournal.com/columns/50million.htm

"I don't care much for .biz unless it is for a whimsical kind of business."
Lets not ask him how many .biz's he has today. Nor, do we want to raise
the question of how much he made on .biz's over the past 2 yrs.

"You will get arguments day and night over whether these new extensions will ever make it and whether you should buy only .com etc. The fact is, neither side in the argument can actually prove their point until several years from now when we look back and see what happened. So all you can do is place your bets and take your chances at this point in time."

I am pointing out Duke's comments because is he considered today as one of the major experts in the domain industry.

A lot can happen in this industry very quickly.

The bottom line, don't box yourself into a confined area within the internet business.
And, don't wear blinders.

An interesting thing about this thread to me, is that, I wasn't even in this industry
at that time. (I have only been in the domain business 2 yrs, 9 months.)
I'm still a newbie.
 
actnow said:
Duke said "There is NOTHING left in .com. " At that time, there were approx.
22 million registered .com's. Today, approx. 45 million.

OK, I should have said "NOTHING GOOD left in .com".

There is always something left since the number of possible combinations is practically infinite, but that doesn't mean that what is left has much value, especially when the first 22 million choices are already gone. :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom