• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale .CA accounting principals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianccc

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
41
how do you folks handle (accounting wise) your domain portfolio
within your business.

-is the method used INVENTORY or CAPITAL EXPENSE?

there are plus/minus to each method - I just want to make the right choice

~ian

interested in hearing from part-time domainers - is buying/selling/parking a small part of your bussiness - considering it is not the core unit I think treating them as a Capital Expence will work - I recieved PM from full time domaining companies that cannot
 
Parking Revenue + Domain Sales - Registrations/Fees/Expenses - Buying = Net Income
 
Parking Revenue + Domain Sales - Registrations/Fees/Expenses - Buying = Net Income

not the answer I was looking for

if you purchase domains - with intent to sell/develop I realize any parking rev is clamed as a sale - but all those domains sit there un-sold like "Cash on Hand" or inventory so you get hammerd on taxes - I owe over $15,000 for that simple reason - so my questions is because domaining is not my CORE businesss can I try the Capital Expense - then I am taxable on
have of the sale proceeds - when they sell

what are you folks doing
 
From my knowledge, you can do it either way Ian. Your domain purchases can act like investments and you will only claim it once you have sold it.
 
Thats the way I've always done it Jrod
 
Sorry to drudge this old thread up but, can the sale of domains be considered capital gains???

Thanks,
Christian.
 
I am looking for an accountant for this year, is it easy for a professional accountant to sort out how domains are treated - as in dealing with reg fees, parking revenues, sales, affiliate income, etc.?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom