Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld .ca crazy :)... I picked up 2 today what you guys think? Launching and ClassicDesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

KING

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am going .CA crazy at the moment :).. I picked up 2 today (Launching dot CA) and (ClassicDesign dot CA)

What do you guys think about there..

MAXWELL I do want your opinion on this one..

Cheers

KING

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No dev plans, I checked the 411.ca to see if there is some businesses with (Classic Design and Launching) ... Thanks for the input, I really do like classic design kind of better then launching..

I also seen
MyTires.ca
eFunding.ca

I wasn't sure so I left them if someone wants them go fast give me finders fee :) hehe

Cheers
Thanks CC

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Funny I remember hearing the same thing in 1999 in regards to .com's

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And your point is?

point is, risk, and reward go hand in hand, Canadians on the forefront are less risk adverse than Americans, but if history serves correct it is the ones who buy in before the fact, then after the fact that will be rewarded. Many good terms are unattainable in the .com and other major tld's, but can be easily purchased in .ca, especially if their business reach stays within Canada, so to say it is strictly about optimization I would say is premature, as many businesses would want some sort of place holder, or contact page online, it maybe 2-3 years out, but there is a lot more reward potential, than chasing the higher end .com's, which have been going for higher amounts than I have seen in the past few years in the after market, and I see many more foreign buyers participating, especially out of China.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe you are wrong, we will find out in a few years, where the .ca market ends up...

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Only person that's wrong is you. lol Not sure where you came up with this.

Canadians are better savers, they do not spend disposable income like Americans do on extra ordinary items

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you had no dev plans it was a terrible idea registering them.

one of the first things you should ask yourself before you register anything: is the domain good enough that i would want to develop it? if the actual buyer does't see value in it enough to want to develop it, it's highly likely others won't, making the investment pretty much worthless because it's unlikely it will find an end user.

obviously a domaining strategy will incorporate speculative domains that you may not plan on developing, but these domains aren't anything close to what i would be speculating with.

Last edited:

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Thank you! Exactly what everybody isn't getting about .ca.

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Hugo, to provide you with your requested opinions...

Launching: The better of the two. Its a positive verb, which prompts action at one's first thought. Ecomindia is right, this is definitely a good name for startups or similar. If I had to grade this on the letter system, I would give it a B-.

There is very visible "cool factor" on this name. Just keep in mind that startups these days typically use "brandable" names of the CVCV variety, so they won't exactly be taking out a second mortgage for a domain name.

I will draw your attention to the following possible end users though, could be worth a few emails...

http://launchingcleantech.ca/
http://launchingleaders.ca/
http://launchingpad.ca/
http://launchingpad330.ca - I'm slightly familiar with this facility. Note the redirect to the .com domain. This suggests they know a thing or two as to what a domain is.

ClassicDesign: Being totally honest, not crazy about this one. Thinking logically, those who would be in the business of "classic design" are generally of a creative breed. Which means they might come up with a more original name than simply "classic design".

The first thing which comes to my head when I think of "design" is interior design. What's "in" these days in interior design is by no means classic, which, to me, does not suggest a demand for this specific keyword.

Might want to inquire to classicdesignsltd.ca, which is an inferior domain for reasons which need not be explained.

But to be 100% honest with you, I wouldn't bother renewing this one. You've got a year to do something with it, so try making some phone calls and sending some emails.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree 2, no value at all, even if you develop. No offence.

Your honesty will take him further in Domaining!

.ca is a great investment if you own generics. When it comes to 2+ keyword .ca's it better be premium like MortgageRates.ca - otherwise the risk is not worth it. Unless you plan to develop a .ca - their is no real value in majority of them. Thousands of .com's expire everyday! Quick turnaround!

and for the rookies who have missed out on the Canadian Gold Rush, here's a word of advice. The best of the best .ca's are owned by the some of the smartest and wealthiest Domainers in the business!

At end of the day it doesn't matter what you own or how much value you place on your domain, it all comes down to how good you are as a Sales Man!

Critics will always dump their hopes on anything they can get their hands on that's not .com and prey it would flip. The difference between today's market and 10 years ago is that domains are loosing value! .com's are selling for cheap. APPS are the future!

.com is not going anywhere anytime soon, but I assure you smartphones are taking a big bite out of domain names/website traffic!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I took part in the .ca landrush in 2000. That was my mistake. I should have invested in .com. I thought it was too late !
If only .ca had increased in value apace with .com I would be happy.
I'm not giving it another 10 years, because even without the restrictions the local market will not double overnight.

But sorry you need to be picky with .ca domains. I agree that generics are a good bet, I'm less optimistic about creative/brandable domains.
I don't see much value in these two domains, imo resale potential is low. Develop.

In general, when a great domain is still available you need to ask yourself if it's really that great. I assume these are not drops, but domains that may have been lying around for 10+ years waiting to be registered.

Bottom line: .ca is a ccTLD with its own market and peculiarities and must be approached as such. What works in .com will not necessarily do wonders in .ca.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there is an endless supply of bad domains ... be very picky and take your time before you buy. JMO

KING

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okie Dokie everyone :) ... Thanks for input, this wasn't too bad of a post actually got a full discussion going.. Thanks everyone for participating on this one..

CAO . CA :) hehe

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Also I see someone picked up MyTires.ca and eFunding.ca :) not even a thanks my way :( so sad ... :)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought the explosion of apps was increasing the need for domains. Don't apps need a domain to run on? They are a short cut and take away the need to type in a domain, but they must operate on one.

Can you build, sell and operate an app without it being hosted on some type of domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom