Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.CA domains owned by American Registrants

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Under the .CA registration rules the registrant has to meet "residency" status.

An American company is listed as the admin contact - but a bogus Canadian corporation is listed as the owner.

The .CA name is doing a framed redirect to their .COM name which is the US business.

They have no trademark or are even allowed to register the domain name.

I can snitch which is all fun and games, but how do I get this domain for myself? Can this be taken care of via UDP?

Domain Summit 2024

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what's the name your referring too?

if the owner has a canadian relation,
and the registration has went through
successful..

prob not much you can do to gain the name
except to buy it.

goodluck.

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be secretive about the actualy name at this point. It's a valuable keyword and generic (not their actual business name).

I know they are not selling it and it doesn't expire for a few years.

Naturally, I would prefer to have it! Especially if they have no claim to it.

Originally posted by TexasFilly
what's the name your referring too?

if the owner has a canadian relation,
and the registration has went through
successful..

prob not much you can do to gain the name
except to buy it.

goodluck.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gruffyserv, I assume that you are Canadian, eh? Frankly, there ARE quite a number of non-Canadian entities that have registered some decent dot-ca names "illegally", including some of our friends here on DNForum.com; however, it would take a long and difficult process to get the domains from them, even if it is viable.

It doesn't hurt to file a complaint (to CIRA) in order to teach them a lesson :D , but don't expect to get any result soon (say within 6-9 months). I filed a legitimate complaint against a certain illegal registration (not in this context though) back in January 2002 and have heard from CIRA only once saying that it's under investigation. :mad:

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm very Canadian.

It makes sense to register what you can in the unregulated market. The registar's are very happy to take the money regardeless.

I don't know to what extent this is covered under UDRP. I'd certainly invest in trademarking the domain myself and go about it that way (the so called reverese-jacking).

CIRA seems like a bunch of jokers. The don't really stand to benefit in anyway from responding to complaints so that about sums up their interest level.

Originally posted by nameslave
gruffyserv, I assume that you are Canadian, eh? Frankly, there ARE quite a number of non-Canadian entities that have registered some decent dot-ca names "illegally", including some of our friends here on DNForum.com; however, it would take a long and difficult process to get the domains from them, even if it is viable.

It doesn't hurt to file a complaint (to CIRA) in order to teach them a lesson :D , but don't expect to get any result soon (say within 6-9 months). I filed a legitimate complaint against a certain illegal registration (not in this context though) back in January 2002 and have heard from CIRA only once saying that it's under investigation. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom