Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Calling All Adult Experts

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have not dipped into the adult market before but I thought this should be an excellent name:

TelSex.net

Am I completely wrong? In this case, with telephones being associated with networks (ATT is a .net), I would think the .net might be almost as good as the .com. Telephone sex is a massive business (though I haven't contibuted a penny to it - - - No REALLY - I haven't!!)

I have no expertise in this area, so would appreciate all positive and negative comments and value estimates.

Domain summit 2024

stain

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
if you want to offer an affililiate program and promote dialers on your site, then you have a very great domain name.
f.e. use it for your webmaster's stats pages or something else...

for using adult content it that domain it's not good i think, cause when surfers see that there is something with telephone they think of dialers and won't visit your site...

am i wrong?

Stouch

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
To me the sex part of the name is more prominent that then tel part, so it definately has the right connotations. The name however doesnt really grab me by the balls *metaphorically*.

If you were planning on doing TGP submitting where the name isnt of such a high relevance, then all is well. As for resale I dont see a value.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A better version of a similar domain would be PhoneSex.net. Tel Sex is not a common phrase. In fact I have never heard it being used. Could be worth some money for someone, since there are no good adult names left out there to pick up. But It will be hard to sell it form more than $100 IMO.

Good Luck!!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PhoneSex.net is obviously better, but it wasn't available for $8! There are lots of BETTER names out there. That wasn't the question. I felt this one was easily worth the $8 I paid and probably at least $100. I sold a name this morming that I didn't think was as good (also a .net, but not adult) for $500.

Thanks for the opinions though and please keep them coming. I am interested in all points of view. If it isn't of any value I'm only out $8!

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This name did not excite me when I saw it expire earlier. I am NOT an adult site expert, but since this is a variant of the originally coined expression phonesex, it can pass as a sex "dialer" or a phonesex offer. I think you may have someting more than your reg fee but I dont think they will come running to you. I may be wrong but these guys are looking for typeins (the nature of sex drive, I suppose.....)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks IPatlas. I'm an adult greenhorn as well and probably won't venture into this area again. In fact I don't even know what a "Dialer" is? What is it?

I think my mistake was looking at it from a gray flannel suit business perspective. Tel is a very common acronym for telephone and telecommunications in the business world (NextTel, AllTel, etc). We all know how powerful the word Sex is, but in the sex world, the term Tel is probably too staid and wouldn't grab people in the way Souch so colorfully pointed out!

It still strikes me as a short memorable name that should have some small value at least, but this is a good illustration of why it pays to concentrate on the industries you know best. For $8 I thought it looked good enough that someone would take it if I left it there while going off to do a day or two of research. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One other thing that motivated me to take it is that every other TLD of TelSex is taken as are all TeleSex and anything remotely close that you can think of. There is also a good looking German site at TelSex.com, so I wasn't the only one who thought the name was appealing.

alldig

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It doesn't catch my eye...and I see no resale value.

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sex dialers are (nasty IMO) little exec's that self-install upon arrival to a seemingly "peaceful" sex site. Operators are required by law to tell you about what's being installed on your machine but some still don't (I think).

TO the poor sap who still uses a modem (or keeps a modem connected to their phone line, or are 56k AOlites, or, or..) the dialer does this: It "dials" a *PAID* phone service (just like we used to dial our ISP's. .only this is a toll call ) and spews adult content galore to the recipient.

The adult content recipient may or not know that the TEL call is on a paid basis (some are to Holland, or TUrkey, similar to 1-900-xxxx etc) and the adult site operator makes a set % commish off the toll call charge that goes thru the TEL co.

This is my perception from a tech not a user perspective, please correct me if I am (and I may very well be) wrong.

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke of Earl
One other thing that motivated me to take it is that every other TLD of TelSex is taken as are all TeleSex and anything remotely close that you can think of. There is also a good looking German site at TelSex.com, .....

That is an excellent point and now that you said this I do honestly believe your chances of selling it are better. I would appreciate if you dropped me a note when you do sell it. You may have seen something I for sure didnt see warranting researching neighboring domains.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whoa! That makes the Tel part a BIG negative! I'd heard of this practice but didn't know "dialer" was the one word description for it. Thanks for the input guys.

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I couldn't resist. Here is the lowdown on sex dialers (click on "how it works" on the blue phone pad

http://sexdialer.com/

DISCLAIMER
THis is an unethical practice in my opinion. IN trying to help a fellow dealer sell a domain, I provide a URL without endorsing this practice. ..I WOULD TREAT THIS SITE AS A VIRUS FACTORY

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is an excellent point and now that you said this I do honestly believe your chances of selling it are better. I would appreciate if you dropped me a note when you do sell it. You may have seen something I for sure didnt see warranting researching neighboring domains.

Thanks IPAtlas. I don't know when I will get around to marketing this and some other names I have picked up in recent weeks, but I will make a note to let you know if I get anything out of it. One thing I love about this game is that you can take a flyer on something like this for the cost of a movie ticket. If it doesn't pan out no big deal and it is more entertaining than a lot of films I have seen lately! :laugh:

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I couldn't resist. Here is the lowdown on sex dialers (click on "how it works" on the blue phone pad

Thanks for the link. I took a brief look at it. It's been an education!

I would agree with you about the ethics involved. Though I run other web sites, in this case, my only interest is in selling a domain name - not running a site of this type.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One other thing occurred to me in thinking about why every other TLD with TelSex (and Telesex) is gone. In America we refer to the telephone as "phone" so phonesex is the natural preferred word here. Do they possibly use a different word in Europe? It might explain why the site at TelSex.com is from Europe and all the others have also been snagged. Tel may be more meaningful which respect to telephones there.

IPatlas

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
True, very true. A more naturally sounding version of the slang monicker in many foreign countries is TELE (or THLE), not TEL, however. It means from a distance, as you know (other example: TELEPATHY). I am not saying it's impossible but I doubt they would easily substitute TELE(FON) with TEL. Just my 2 cents.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you're right. I would have preferred TeleSex, but as I noted before, there are a LOT of names I would have preferred! For $8 you take what you can get (as you know there isn't a lot to work with on those expired lists!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators