Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Calling All .Biz Registrants! Is GoDaddy Cheating Us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willzoid

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have recently been trying to get it through to Godaddy that they have miscalculated their renewal prices for .biz domains. They insist that their calculations are correct. I insist that their calculations are incorrect. Lets hear your opinion on the matter.

On April 17, 2007 Neustar gave notice that the wholesale price of .biz domain registrations and renewals would be increased on October 19, 2007 from $6.00 to $6.42. This was clearly an increase of 7%. Here's a copy of the official notice that I found on the Icann website.
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/tindal-to-schwartz-17apr07.pdf
(Note: Don't confuse the above with any recent price increase announcements that won't go into effect until later this year)

Most Godaddy customers would be forgiven for thinking that a price increase by the registry is no major cause for concern because the company states the following promise regarding domain renewal prices on their website, which would appear to limit the impact of any price increases:

"Guaranteed renewal price"
"You'll never pay more to renew your domain name than the rate you paid when you initially registered it, or what our registration rate was when you transferred. (The only exceptions would be if the price the registry charges us increased, or if you took advantage of a limited-time, special price. If the registry increases our cost, yours will go up by no more than the same percentage ours did.)"

You can see the above here:
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/pledge.asp?ci=3813

The following image is a screenshot from the Godaddy website, the details shown appear to clarify the above matter of domain renewal pricing even further, particularly where it states which customers are eligible for a percentage increase on their renewals and which customers will see their renewal prices rise by a fixed amount.

My .biz domains were each first registered for $7.95, way before May 29, 2007, which definitely qualifies me for a renewal price increase that is exactly the same as the amount the Registry increased the wholesale rate by. According to the Registry announcement, that amount is exactly $0.42 and means the total cost for my renewals should be $8.37 plus $0.20 Icann fee, yet Godaddy insists that the correct price is $9.10, plus the icann fee. That's an increase of $1.15, which, based on the above Godaddy price guarantee and the Neustar price increase announcement, should be an impossible figure to reach.

I have pointed out to Godaddy that their price increase of $1.15 contradicts statements made by both them and Neustar but for some reason they completely refuse to admit that their calculations are incorrect despite the overwhelming evidence that I have provided to them. In fact, they simply skirt around the issues I have raised and continue to deny my request for proof that their cost increased by $1.15.

Furthermore, $1.15 is equal to an increase of just over 19% on the original baseline wholesale cost of $6.00. By stating on their website that my renewal price can only be affected by an increase by the registry, and then increasing it by $1.15, Godaddy is in effect claiming that $1.15 is indeed the price increase imposed on them by the registry. However, the public copy of Neustar's contract with Icann states that Neustar is not permitted to raise their wholesale prices by any more than 10% per year (See section 7.3), which would further make an increase of $1.15 by the registry highly unlikely as it would have meant that Neustar was in breach of its contract with Icann.
http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/biz/registry-agmt-08dec06.htm

I have put my argument to Godaddy several times over the last month, including to senior support in the Presidents office. On each occasion I provided evidence to support my claims, the same as shown and referenced above, but Godaddy has repeatedly got back to me saying that my calculations are incorrect and that they differ from the actual increase that has been imposed on them by the registry. When I ask them for proof they simply fob me off by saying that they are unable to share confidential information with me regarding the prices they pay to the registry.

Don't all registrars pay the same wholesale prices? I am quite sure they do, and I am certain that Godaddy would kick up a real stink if they found that they were being forced to pay more than competing registrars.

As such, I am sticking to my calculations and now invite Godaddy to clear up this matter publicly since my efforts to do so directly, privately and with a great deal of diplomacy have failed thus far.

GoDaddy, please answer this one question; If the price increase imposed on you by Neustar was $0.42, and your price guarantee promises to let me renew my domain names at their original cost plus $0.42, how have you managed to come up with a price rise of $1.15? It is a simple question that should be easy to answer but so far you have been unable provide me with a response that is anywhere near to being satisfactory.

To the community here: What are your thoughts? Are we being ripped off and lied to by Godaddy? Has anyone here found any evidence of a $1.15 increase by the registry?

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We are being ripped off by godaddy alright. But that is nothing new. It is a company "policy". And it will not change easily.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Go Daddy suddenly went to $14.95 for .BIZ back around February 10th. I had recently bought a 'Domain Discount Club' (DDC) membership (NO, your rep DOESN'T give you the lowest price!) that entitled me to buy and renew .BIZ for $6.99. The sudden nature of this situation caused me to drop and sell several good .BIZ names cheaply. My post about this is in this section (http://www.dnforum.com/f209/biz-goes-9-99-14-95-go-daddy-thread-277016.html).

Later in March, a DNF member sent me a code (cjcbentld) that let me renew .BIZ for $6.95. This was while my DDC price was still $11.99! Since that time, the DDC price went to $7.99, still $1.04 more than my paid for guarenteed best DDC price.

I sent the letter below to my Go Daddy rep at that time. I still have yet to hear a reply.

Jay,

Go Daddy continues to amaze me. The latest misery is that you, for reasons that totally evade me, decided impose on your customers was to move your rate for .BIZ renewals to $11.99 from $6.99, a 58.3% increase in one day. That has caused me to drop some names, allowing you to sell them for your profit. It has caused me to sell some other names and grit my teeth an renew some too and lastly it has started me transferring them out to another registrar. Now I find out that there is a coupon code (cjcbentld) that allows anyone to renew .BIZ names for the original $6.99 rate. While this coupon has been available, I have almost doubtlessly renewed several names at a higher rate while paying for the DDC option. I did trust that I was getting Go Daddy's best price, such as that was in this case, with my DDC membership.

I have to ask, Does Go Daddy just plain enjoy jerking customers around or is there some cool marketing plan that is beyond my very simple non-MBA understanding??! Why do you do this and why would you do this? There seems to be no external reason for this rate increase and like many others before you implement them with no warning. If the registry was increasing their sell rate to you, you would certainly have some warning and could let us worthless peons, er, customers know so we would have the option to renew ahead some if we wanted to. Given that your competition didn't raise their rates and that you can now magically sell at the old DDC paid for rate to anyone (except those who pay for DDC, maybe) I can think of nothing else other than someone said, 'Hey, why not!' at a marketing meeting. Exxon did it and the real estate guys did it, why not us? Maybe you should try $70.00 .COM renewals for a week. Certainly many people with expiring domains would have to renew their names that week and few would get around to moving anything. You might even get a few great names for TDNAM. You'd probably have a great week! It's a winner! Yea Ha! Maybe I should be part of the marketing team! Then you could email everyone a pix of a Go Daddy girl with a coupon code and all would be good again; I am sure. As a special surprise you should keep the DDC price at $49.95 for a little while longer. It would all be in good fun, of course, and a real hoot at the next marketing meeting.

As I know the type of company that you are, I am pretty sure that I and other DDC members will be dead long before you issue the refunds that you do owe us for fees that we have obviously overpaid since you issued this coupon. I know that I have never seen any adjustment for the three (or so) names that I had to renew at full price when my DDC club system was out.

I really don't get it. Do you? It's disappointing, I do know that.

Sincerely,

Jon Hall

willzoid

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are being ripped off by godaddy alright. But that is nothing new. It is a company "policy". And it will not change easily.

If customers just allow the tricks to go on without complaining about it then, yes, the situation will not change easily. But if enough customers stand up for their rights and stick together I think a lot of pressure can be put on GD to change their ways.

I am currently preparing a complaint about GD that I will submit to the Arizona BBB <http://www.arizonabbb.org/> and the FTC <http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/ruleroad.shtm>.

As far as I am concerned, I have been lied to directly by Godaddy staff, and mislead by their advertising. I refuse to put up with it. GD has over 300 complaints filed at the BBB, many of them related to misleading practices and false advertising, so I know I am not alone.

radioz - I feel for you. What they have done to you is highly unethical. There just has to be hundreds, or thousands, of other customers out there being ripped off in exactly the same way. Something has to be done. I suggest that anyone that has similar issues should also file a complaint with the BBB and FTC.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you think BBB gives a damn?
First we must complain about BBB and then complain to BBB about godaddy!

I contacted BBB about a company once and gave full details. The company said they didn't know who I was, and BBB ended the complain there. What a joke.

willzoid

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you think BBB gives a damn?
First we must complain about BBB and then complain to BBB about godaddy!

I contacted BBB about a company once and gave full details. The company said they didn't know who I was, and BBB ended the complain there. What a joke.

Well, in the case of domain registrations both the customer name and the registrar details are on the whois so the likelihood of GD saying they don't know the customer is highly unlikely wouldn't you say? I also have receipts from GD so the problem you've pointed out really isn't going to be an issue.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK...

My problem was also domain related. And my name was on whois for 2 months. They never knew me.

Well, in the case of domain registrations both the customer name and the registrar details are on the whois so the likelihood of GD saying they don't know the customer is highly unlikely wouldn't you say? I also have receipts from GD so the problem you've pointed out really isn't going to be an issue.

willzoid

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hurdles have already come up and will continue to do so but I shan't let any one of them get in my way. I am determined to get this issue settled.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should contact ICANN instead of BBB.

willzoid

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should contact ICANN instead of BBB.

Icann is not a consumer protection agency. Besides, GD has probably done little that would be cause for concern to Icann. This whole issue revolves around GD's failure to honor pricing guarantees that they have made to their customers. Icann doesn't require their accredited registrars to provide a pricing guarantee, but as GD has offered one they should be willing to honor it. Not doing so equates to false advertising. A matter that is far better dealt with by the likes of the BBB and FTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators