• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Can I buy .ca?

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
2,507
Reaction score
30
Hi,

This may be silly, even stupid :-)

Can I buy .ca domain?
I don't live in Canada.

I know that I can not buy .eu
Is .ca same?

I never bought .ca before :-)

Could someone tell me please?

Thanks,
Jonathan
 
Just buy it people in other countries don't follow other countries' domain laws so just go ahead.
 
There are some restrictions...you do need to be a Canadian resident or have some other professional association with the country, but if you really want to register a .ca its not that difficult to do.
 
You don't need to be a Canadian citizen. I am constantly seeing owners of .ca domain names from other country's other than Canada. I have lost out on a few .ca backorders recently to some guy in China.
 
nafti said:
You don't need to be a Canadian citizen. I am constantly seeing owners of .ca domain names from other country's other than Canada. I have lost out on a few .ca backorders recently to some guy in China.

You are SUPPOSED to be a Canadian to register .ca names, but as I said its pretty easy to get around this rule.
 
I think we should report the non Canadians to CIRA so the names get released and we can get them. :)
 
When you register a .ca, it asks you the to choose your association to Canada in a drop down box:
Canadian Educational Institution (EDU)
Canadian Hospital (HOP)
Canadian Library, Archive or Museum (LAM)
Canadian Political Party (PLT)
Canadian Trade Union (TRD)
Canadian Unincorporated Association (ASS)
Canadian citizen (CCT)
Corporation (Canada or Canadian province or territory) (CCO)
Government or government entity in Canada (GOV)
Her Majesty the Queen (MAJ)
Indian Band recognized by the Indian Act of Canada (INB)
Legal Representative of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident (LGR)
Official mark registered in Canada (OMK)
Partnership Registered in Canada (PRT)
Permanent Resident of Canada (RES)
Trade-mark registered in Canada (by a non-Canadian owner) (TDM)
Trust established in Canada (TRS)
Check off "Her Majesty the Queen", just to see what happens :cheeky:
 
None that I can check.

So, I can not buy :-(
Unless make a partnership with Canadian.

nts said:
When you register a .ca, it asks you the to choose your association to Canada in a drop down box:

Check off "Her Majesty the Queen", just to see what happens :cheeky:
 
copper said:
None that I can check.

So, I can not buy :-(
Unless make a partnership with Canadian.

It says that kinda thing for all country extensions..you're a resident :canada: ..in spirit..
 
So, anyone bought/registered .ca?
How did you do it?
Any problems?
 
nts said:
When you register a .ca, it asks you the to choose your association to Canada in a drop down box:

Check off "Her Majesty the Queen", just to see what happens :cheeky:

what does this mean, can anybody buy a .ca? because i don't think they will give you the trouble of verifying how you are associated with her majesty the queen!
 
what does this mean, can anybody buy a .ca? because i don't think they will give you the trouble of verifying how you are associated with her majesty the queen!

Yes, that is why we thought it was so funny.

I don't think they really care either way. The world has much bigger problems to try and watch beside someone registering a .ca from the US...so I don't think they are gonna come for ya if you do it.
 
Just register it. I hate it when Canadians and Europeans don't like Americans registering there domains when they leech off ours... it disgusts me. Just register it.
 
Darren06 said:
Just register it. I hate it when Canadians and Europeans don't like Americans registering there domains when they leech off ours... it disgusts me. Just register it.

Ouch. I don't care if you guys register our national domains...besides, I wouldn't be caught dead owning one of those crappy .us names :wink:
 
take it easy you two :-)
 
WTF is this: Indian Band recognized by the Indian Act of Canada
 
denny007 said:
WTF is this: Indian Band recognized by the Indian Act of Canada

For the First Nation's People...I guess we kind of stole their land a couple hundred year's ago...so in return they get the ability to register .ca domains...seems pretty fair to me.

Of course, I was kidding in my post about .us names....I love 'em :greenyes:
 
GT Web said:
Of course, I was kidding in my post about .us names....I love 'em :greenyes:

hehe :greensmilewinkgrin:
 
GT Web said:
For the First Nation's People...I guess we kind of stole their land a couple hundred year's ago...so in return they get the ability to register .ca domains...seems pretty fair to me.
Plus they get some extra benefits, like no need to pay sales tax on anything.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom