• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Canada Day : Teens urinate on War Memorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTM.net

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
1,772
Reaction score
43
Have any Canadians (or others) been following this story about a retired Major who snapped photos of young adults (or teens) urinating on the National War Memorial and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Ottawa on Canada Day ?

Geez... this is completely unthinkable - how sloshed were these guys to do this? Perhaps the Crystal Meth kicked in.

RCMP say they will lay charges against them, who are for the most part easily identifiable in the photos... unfortunately the charges will be public mischief ...

Talk about an insulting act.

Rob

P.S. Happy Independance Day and 4th to all our AmeriFriends south of the border and posted overseas.
 
Its a pretty deplorable and disgusting act.

However, I am sure they were incredibly sh!tfaced...I'm not defending what they did, but I am sure they did not relize what they were doing given their apparent intoxication.

It's also been blown slightly out of proportion - this is not a nation rebelling against its war veterans, but simply a couple drunk teens who chose a stupid place when nature called.
 
"Teens these days"

lol

I would certainly hope they were inebriated.
 
There are times in life when some people has to be made an example of. This is one of these times. Drunk or not, still no excuse. These "kids" should spend time for this BUT, this is Canada. They will get a slap on the wrist and send them back home to Mommy and Daddy!!!
 
Well, one of the guys was from Montreal. He published a formal apology in the Montreal Gazette, and said he was indeed very drunk - having consumed 26 oz of vodka and "several beers" and doesn't remember any of the night.

He seems to be hoping not to get a criminal charge since it would affect his job search (and international travel) abilities.

I agree with many of the comments above... including that it *has* been blown out of proportion.

A classic case of doing the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time!
 
The two from Ontario are minors and as such cannot be identified. Their lawyer negotiated a community service deal to avoid criminal prosecution.

The 23 year old from Montreal is Stephen Fernandes. He's been doing interviews with several major Canadian media outlets in an obvious damage control spin. His apology was accepted by the head of the Canadian Legion (our National association of war veterans.)

Over lunch, he was on one of our more popular English language radio talk shows on CJAD (800 AM)... and many callers were still quite villified by his actions. Others, however came to his defense in respecting the fact that he had come forward to admit his wrongdoing (and guilt).

He has been charged by Ottawa Police with public mischief... under the criminal code. It involves a maximum 2 year prison sentence (most likely suspended sentence) and of course... a criminal record that is very embarrassing to explain...

Me thinks he needs a break now that he's been publicly exposed and himself publicly apologized. If we're discussing him on a domaining forum, I think his severe lack of judgement has been sufficiently publicised... (including by yours truly, hehehe)

Rob
 
The kids will probably end up sueing the guy that took the pictures for child pornography or something stupid
 
lmao droplister. This is in Canada, not the US. No lawsuits pending im sure :)


People and kids in particular should honor their war dead, especially such an important landmark.

But, we've all done dumb stuff as teens. If you say you didn't, then you probably didn't enjoy your teen years very much.

While they should be punished, I think (this is one of those imho things) the public humiliation and international humiliation they've received to date on this should be the severist portion of any puniushment.

I just dont agree with convicting someone for life for something they've done as a teen. Especially for something that is essentially a no harm no foul event. (eg, that no one got physically harmed).
 
droplister said:
The kids will probably end up sueing the guy that took the pictures for child pornography or something stupid
Nah, the pics made the front page of the Ottawa Sun newspaper. They didn't reveal anything.

I agree, the punishment they are receiving, along with the humiliation is enough.
 
If I ever got caught at half the stuff i did as a teenager i would have been in jail for most of my life, ever hear of youthfull indescretion this is probably just all it is, teens dont think about what they are doing,especialy when drinking, nor the sacrifices of the veterans, the only issue I have with teens are acts of brutality like the ones in florida who beat the homeless guys to death with baseball bats
 
fatter said:
If I ever got caught at half the stuff i did as a teenager i would have been in jail for most of my life, ever hear of youthfull indescretion this is probably just all it is, teens dont think about what they are doing,especialy when drinking, nor the sacrifices of the veterans, the only issue I have with teens are acts of brutality like the ones in florida who beat the homeless guys to death with baseball bats

Ya, those darn kids today, with their rock and roll music and their drinking and partying...

I heard a quote once from a very famous philosopher, something about the kids of today showing no respect to their elders or being able to carry responsability....the quote was from Plato.

These young men messed up and are paying for it...plain and simple. I'm glad the 23 year old had the balls to face up to it and take it on the chin. Its over, done with and will be forgotten within days.
 
I would have beaten the shit out of those kids...
 
I'm glad the 23 year old had the balls to face up to it and take it on the chin.

You may want to avoid using those words in the same sentence in the future. Balls, face and chin created a visual I'm not sure you intended. :-P
 
chumba said:
You may want to avoid using those words in the same sentence in the future. Balls, face and chin created a visual I'm not sure you intended. :-P

There was actually quite a bit of innuendo in my post... :tape2: :shy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom