- Joined
- Nov 29, 2010
- Messages
- 51
- Reaction score
- 27
Hi everyone,
ccTLD info has always been scattered: one rule on a registrar page, a different one in an old thread, and no clear answer on who runs half these extensions. So I built the free reference I always wanted: https://cctld.it.com
A few things I learned along the way:
• Only about half (128 of 248) are open to anyone worldwide.
• .it isn't open to US registrants directly. You need an EEA connection.
• .ai has a 2-year minimum, so the real upfront cost is double the yearly price.
• Since September 2026, .ru and .su holders must verify their identity through a Russian government portal.
• Google treats 20 ccTLDs as generic (.io, .ai, .co, .me, .tv…). The rest signal a target country.
On the site:
• A profile for every extension: registry, who can register, region and official IANA link
• In-depth guides for 71 major ccTLDs
• A directory you can filter by "open worldwide" vs "local presence required"
• Free tools: compare extensions side by side, a holding-cost calculator and a domain hack finder
It's free, with no ads and no sign-up. Where a registry's rules couldn't be confirmed, it says so instead of guessing.
You all know these extensions better than anyone, so I'd love to hear from you:
• What's the strangest ccTLD rule you've run into?
• Which ccTLD do you think is most underpriced right now?
• Spot anything wrong for an extension you hold? Tell me and I'll fix it.
Thanks for taking a look!
David
ccTLD info has always been scattered: one rule on a registrar page, a different one in an old thread, and no clear answer on who runs half these extensions. So I built the free reference I always wanted: https://cctld.it.com
A few things I learned along the way:
• Only about half (128 of 248) are open to anyone worldwide.
• .it isn't open to US registrants directly. You need an EEA connection.
• .ai has a 2-year minimum, so the real upfront cost is double the yearly price.
• Since September 2026, .ru and .su holders must verify their identity through a Russian government portal.
• Google treats 20 ccTLDs as generic (.io, .ai, .co, .me, .tv…). The rest signal a target country.
On the site:
• A profile for every extension: registry, who can register, region and official IANA link
• In-depth guides for 71 major ccTLDs
• A directory you can filter by "open worldwide" vs "local presence required"
• Free tools: compare extensions side by side, a holding-cost calculator and a domain hack finder
It's free, with no ads and no sign-up. Where a registry's rules couldn't be confirmed, it says so instead of guessing.
You all know these extensions better than anyone, so I'd love to hear from you:
• What's the strangest ccTLD rule you've run into?
• Which ccTLD do you think is most underpriced right now?
• Spot anything wrong for an extension you hold? Tell me and I'll fix it.
Thanks for taking a look!
David