• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Champagne Taste, Beer Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

mppedersen

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2004
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
I think I've gotten down the part of picking good names, now if only I could afford them. Any feedback on my conclusion I should try to buy lesser desired names at lower prices until I build up revenue or should I put all my eggs into one great name like clickandsearch.com?

This is what keeps happening to me on Snapnames.

clickandsearch.com $1,550.00 Outbid! kkoll 21-Aug-2006
cooltoons.com $5,100.00 Outbid! thetrojan 21-Aug-2006
uwphotos.com $825.00 Outbid! maritqa 21-Aug-2006
dhn-online.org $851.00 Outbid! kupacabra 20-Aug-2006
55broadst.com $1,111.00 Outbid! 3ccapital 19-Aug-2006
spiral.org $1,550.00 Outbid! openbid 19-Aug-2006
 
If you think that's a great name you haven't gotten it down to a fine art :)

To answer your question, I wouldn't put all my eggs into the one basket by getting only the one gem.
 
sorry, I did a quick cut and paste, I ment to put cooltoons.com as the great domain name.

Does anybody think those domains are worth what they sold for?
 
No, those names are not that great at all. But they did not sell for THAT much anyway - regardless, I don't think they are worth the money.
 
ok, guess I have more to learn. do you guys look me for brandable generic names or higher traffic names? these all seem to have alot of inbound links and high alexa ranking ( I know alexa can be faked, but when combined with search engine links I think maybe they are legit.)
 
Other than spiral.org, I think any of those names could be replaced by names that haven't been registered yet.

Were these dropped names? If so, they were probably picked up for their link traffic more than for their name value.
 
I would rather have 10 small diamonds than one big gem. gem valued at 15k, 10 small diamonds valued at 2k+ is worth more.
 
They must have some serious link weight otherwise those prices seem absurd.
 
I would rather have 10 small diamonds than one big gem. gem valued at 15k, 10 small diamonds valued at 2k+ is worth more.

Interesting. I on the other hand would prefer the single big gem.
 
I would rather have 10 small diamonds than one big gem. gem valued at 15k, 10 small diamonds valued at 2k+ is worth more.

that makes sense - 15k vs 20k .. unless the big gem is worth more than 15 and 20k though.
 
Finding 1 buyer is easier than finding 10.

Dan.
 
I think its easier to find 10 buyers at $2,000 than 1 at $20,000. dun. dun. dun
 
Quality is better than quantity. That's one of the golden rules.
 
Quality is better than quantity. That's one of the golden rules.

Ensure the names you do grab are worth what you paid for them at least, and your sweet. The way I see it your much better spreading risk over several names as some may not be worth as much as you anticipated.
 
In the quest for a hand-full of great gems I seem to have gradually aquired about 600 domain names most of which are probably trash. The renewals can get costly. Therefore I think that a small collection of say 5 to 10 gems is better than are large portfolio of second rate names. I only wish that I could stop buying domain names.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom