• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale CIRA Warning to all .ca owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam DickerAdam Dicker is verified member.

Level 12
Domain Broker
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Messages
15,041
Reaction score
1,192
Make sure you place your .ca names with correct whois.

Last week, CIRA did a random whois check on me and suspenpded my account pending verification that I was indeed the owner and Canadian.

I faxed them my drivers liscence but that wasn't good enough becuase the domains were in my company name. I had to fax them corporate docs proving who I was within 5 days or they could take them away.

So be very careful what you use for Canadian whois.

For the record all my whois info was real and accurate but it scared the crap out of me with what they put me through. I am still waiting for the all clear sign on my .ca account.

The worst is they don't contact you directly, they go to your main .ca registrar, so make sure its one you have a good relationship with or you may not hear about this within the 5 days.

-=DCG=-
 
CIRA has put your account under manual validation, which probably means someone has filed a registrant information validation challenge.

The above came from pool.com when they tried to send me a .ca name this last week.

I think this came beacuse I wouldn't sell a name I got off a drop to someone.

Unsure though... -=DCG=-
 
Yeah my buddy Bob lost Hydroponic.ca like this...$%$%^ sucked dude, hope all works out Adam..good heads up info! :smile:
 
Would suck to lose domains through no fault of your own if the registrar doesn't forward the request for confirmation.

On the other hand, will probably mean lots of great drops coming up!
 
I have 6 idents and have been phoned on 3 occasions. Once for registering a domain under a business name but not numbered, once was what appeared to be a welcome call and verification of my presence, and the third was verification of my presence. I've had emails as well directly from cira. Never had a scare yet. It's quite possible they phoned me because I wasnt a long distance charge ?

Either way, be sure your presence can be verified and the true contact is in fact correct.

burp!ca
 
Not sure why they dont let outside business reg .ca domains
 
Thanks for the info, didn't know they actually checked if you are from canada/
I have only 1 .ca domain (a domain with good traffic).
I'm not canadian, what can/should I do to prevent losing this domain?
Are there any .ca registrars that provide local presence?
 
Focus said:
Yeah my buddy Bob lost Hydroponic.ca like this
and some LLL.ca's and some revenue .ca's , not all, I still have a few, shhhhhhhh
I heard by opening a Canadian based office, Godaddy will soon be an CIRA accredited registrar of .ca names.
Adam, do you know anything about that?
 
moniker said they were going to offer .ca registrations as well but it never seemed to materialize..
 
The day they do, it will increase the value of dot ca by a lot. Can't wait!

It won't happen. Nothing to do with cira, but with a dept in the gov. And to be quite frank, It won't increase the domain resale like you all imagine. It's my opinion that more domainer presence will only make it become another .us

Not sure why they dont let outside business reg .ca domains

They do, but it cost to do it right.

moniker said they were going to offer .ca registrations as well but it never seemed to materialize..

A .ca registrar has it's guidlines. Makes for a complicated venture. As well the system is completely different when it comes to managing portfolios in a registrars user interface. Moniker is my favorite global registrar by far but I don't think they would be able to make a profit going up against the older canadian registrars charging close to wholesale price for reg fee.
 
Hi
Thought I would jump on this thread and mention what I am going through at present with CIRA.

About a year ago I switched my Internet provider, my email address was with them so when I cancelled I lost that email. My mistake.
I had used that email address for my contact info for my .ca's. Meanwhile I have been regging more .ca's with a new registrar and email.
I noticed a while back that my contact email was incorrect forfor the domains I had regged with my now cancelled IP.
I attemted to change the email to the correct one in the management area and was told that CIRA would send a confirmation email. That was the problem , the email went to the cancelled address and I kinda forgot about change.

This week I noticed about 35 of my names still had the incorrect address. I did not have the new log in passwords as I did not receive them, wrong address.

Now the fun, To change my contact email I have to complete a manual change of contact, a MCAC. This form asks for more information than a Canadian Visa application, has to be witnessed by lawyer/Dr/Dentist etc.

I guess this is all in the name of security, but I think it is just a bunch of CIRA crap. It seems that they just have to be differrent than ICANN, which seems to work pretty good.

I have approx 100 other .ca's that have my correct email. The ones with the incorrect mail has all my personal info the same as the other 100, but I still have to go through all this BS. I am very close to just dumping these names, it will probably be many years before they are worth anything, if ever?

To complete this MCAC the registrar-10 dollar wants $25 for each registrant. I have 2

I went to namespro and they submit it free,

Moral of all this is to ensure that your contact info is correct, just as DCG mentioned.

This CIRA is trying to reinvent the wheel or just a bored bunch of academics trying to see who can come up with the most user unfriendly system in the world.

Sorry for the long blow out, But I am just pissed at the Governmental way that CIRA operates.
 
Hi
Thought I would jump on this thread and mention what I am going through at present with CIRA....

I've sold all my .ca names last year after an one month long deal I had with namefox. This .ca ownership transfer is very timeconsuming sometime ...
 
I've sold all my .ca names last year after an one month long deal I had with namefox. This .ca ownership transfer is very timeconsuming sometime ...

I have bought and sold a lot of .ca names and have never had any problems with the transfer. I use domainsatcost and always have.
 
Cira is a pain in the *** to deal with. I don't buy many .ca's because of it.
 
I think cira may be a pain to deal with but i think they offer a higher level of security than some of the other TLDs
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom