• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Coding price - please review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

furca

DNF Addict
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2004
Messages
3,506
Reaction score
5
As you've laid things out:

You'll need:
6 FIELDS AND 1 FIELD THAT INSERTS IMAGES
(Deleted field types and descriptions due to secrativity)


* A way to edit the above information on a record by record basis. Currently there is no security at a record level. Access to creating/editing/deleting records will be controlled by a password protected directory

* An admin screen for finding and browsing records

* A simple search screen: Visitors can enter an exact [DELETED FOR SECURITY] and get back a list [DELETED FOR SECURITY] that match. No attempt will be made to correct spelling or other details.

* A search results page (To display the results)

What you'll get from me:
- Nicely written PHP code that interfaces to MySQL
- Seperated PHP and HTML to make changes easier
- XHTML standards based HTML
- Bug free code
- free bug fixes for 1 year
** New features/layout are considered extra and are not considered bugs

Cost:
4 pages (8 hours): $400

Payment: 50% in advance and 50% on completion.

The soonest i could start is late Tuesday.

----------------------------------------------------------

My first two forms give you the ability to find, create, edit and delete records. You'll filter the records and then click an edit link.

If things become very large, the only serious problem will be the pictures. Moving the pictures to a separate picture table would be a good start. It will also speed up simple queries. Scaling the pictures to fit within a certain size would be a good idea. At some point you might need to move to a dedicated database server.

Will you need hosting as well?

If you want I can abstract out the database connectivity to allow for easier porting to different databases, however your hosting provider will require the abstraction library for this to work.



Is $400 good price for this script? I've never paid programmers before so not sure what to expect.
 
RentACoder.com where coders compete for a project.
 
$400 is fair, but $50/hour for it seems a bit much. It looks like pure text based functions to me. You could probably get it done for $200 or less if you find someone good.

I enjoyed this part for some reason:
- Bug free code
- free bug fixes for 1 year
 
I use scriptlance.com - would probably be cheaper, but if you are confident about the programmers that do it, then go for it

~MG
 
$400 is fair, but $50/hour for it seems a bit much. It looks like pure text based functions to me. You could probably get it done for $200 or less if you find someone good.

I enjoyed this part for some reason:
- Bug free code
- free bug fixes for 1 year

I actually admire that. You can expect bug-free code, and if a bug is found any time in the first year, he fixes it for no charge. That's integrity.

I operate the same way - though I charge more than $50/hour for my services as a developer/consultant :cool:
 
Sheesh - I charge a minimum of £100 GBP per hour and don't get out of bed for less. Mind you, that's not web stuff. This guy sounds inexpensive and genuine to me, and talks the right talk. Call him out on the walking part for just $200 - no brainer.
 
As far as professional development goes, that is pretty cheap. The company I work for charges $150/hr on average.

I've done work on several freelancing sites, and I would have to agree with Acroplex on going to RentACoder.com if you want dirt cheap work. I'm willing to bet you could find somebody to do that job for $150 just because they want to build good feedback to get bigger projects.

Good luck.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom