• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Con artist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawkinrich

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
May 13, 2004
Messages
2,899
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

Just received this email;

Hello,

Could you send me price for the name mentioned in the subject line?

By the way, investing in domain names is not the main direction of our business but a good way to generate additional income.

If you have other domain names for sale please send us the complete list with prices for consideration.

I'm a very busy person so it may take several hours before I respond :-)

Looking forward to do business with you.

Regards,

Slightly suspicious. :boink:
 
sounds like the scam where he will ask you to get a paid appraissal at one of his appraissal companies thats how he makes a living
 
I got 4 from them today.

What a sorry SOB!
 
Nice one guys. It is fairly obvious. I can't believe scams like these are still happening!
 
You too hey. I have been getting these for sometime now from Opera Engineering they go by Johansen or something like that. First class cons, they prey on noobish domainers like me who get all excited and see thousnds of dollars comming in. The agree on a price say $3500 then in the next email you will get the demand for an appraisal and they will include a link to some forum on quality apprasiers that suggest most are computer generated are worthless. Of course they recommend one. They may even ask for a 10 - 15 % discount because they are looking to resell the domain. I sent them a colorful PFO last time and never got a reply.

You did the smart thing, there are good people here on these forums to help people like us from getting burned.
 
I had one about 2 1/2 years ago, and thought they wouldn't bother doing it anymore, since people are aware of them (apart from me, who posted here to confirm :-))
 
I get one every month it seems - even before buying domains when we just created websites for ourselves and clients. Now I always respond with my own cut and paste:

$1 million dollars firm. No appraisals needed from our end. You obviously already like the domain enough to contact us so there is your appraisal.

Oddly I never hear back until the next month with a new name and the same gig. Oh well, will they ever learn?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom