• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

country names (Exonym and endonym names)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndonmaxewell

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
555
Reaction score
1
Just for interest, I thought this discussion would be interesting. How would you compare the values of country names (Exonym and endonym names) and .com VS cctld?

Taiwan.com
台湾.com
Taiwan.tw
台湾.tw
 
I guess it would depend on what type of audience you would want to attract.
 
I agree that it deals with what your target is.

Taiwan.tw & 台湾.tw would most likely cater to those residing in Taiwan.
Until IDN domains are normally used in the country Taiwan may have more use currently.

台湾.com & Taiwan.com could be used worldwide, the ASCII version can be used by many people in countries that use Latin letters. 台湾.com would be good for almost any Asian language. It can be used in China, Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, & Asians residing in countries like the US, England etc.

Then you might have domains like 台湾.jp (I own this), this would cater to Japanese who would want to travel to Taiwan. I could see Japanese using the jp extension because it's common in Japan but wouldn't expect it to have a need outside of Taiwan embassy or Taiwan related travel services.


With the Taiwan.tw or 台湾.tw if you don't own it, it might be hard to get. In the case of Japan any city name, prefecture, or the country of Japan itself in jp is reserved for the government. This does not apply to any location outside of Japan.

I would assume that most countries did the same but could be wrong.

I'd also look at http://tw.yahoo.com/
to see how common the extension is in use within the country.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom