• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Creating a name server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameAlot.com

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
May 1, 2004
Messages
791
Reaction score
0
Ok I have a question that maybe someone here can help me with. If I own 200 plus names or so and If I create or setup a nameserver would I be able to park 199 names. Say for instant I developed one a site can I set the other names to that name server and have it show the same content on everything. I don't want to use url forwarding or something like. I want to have the conveniance of just changing the name servers like for Sedo or Afternic. Is this possible? and how?

Thanks guys
 
If you create the nameserver you will still need to add the domain parking in your cpanel for each domain.

If you are going to change the nameservers, why not just use URL forwarding if your registrar offers it for free?

If you want to change it later, you would only need to turn off url forwarding and direct the nameservers to sedo, etc.
 
Trentino said:
Ok I have a question that maybe someone here can help me with. If I own 200 plus names or so and If I create or setup a nameserver would I be able to park 199 names. Say for instant I developed one a site can I set the other names to that name server and have it show the same content on everything. I don't want to use url forwarding or something like. I want to have the conveniance of just changing the name servers like for Sedo or Afternic. Is this possible? and how?

Thanks guys

It depends. Its certainly possible. Some hosting providers offer the ability to create nameservers via their cp - for instance, you would be able to setup NS1.YOUR-SITE.COM without any real setup on your end. I know Dreamhost is such a provider.

The other option is to setup your own DNS servers. This course is not for the faint of heart though. Setup varies across platforms and servers - if you are familiar with networking and dns servers it should be a snap.

The "how" would involve alot of hand holding so if you really want to learn how - Id simply advise you tap your network of friends or coworkers and get them to set it all up for you.

HTH
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom