• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale Development Idea

rmacdon

DNF Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
647
Reaction score
18
Hi Guys,
For years I have been trying to buy the domain running.ca and his week I finally got it :)
I have been running for years which I why I pursued this domain and was thinking to build a forum under vbulletin. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Rob
 
First off, congratulation Rob. I think whatever platform you run with, it will be a success. My thoughts are that running (no pun intended) a forum for running would be time consuming. However, if you devote your time I am certain it will monetize well. Best of luck
 
The hardest part of the forum is starting it out as more members bring other members. The hardest part is creating the initial community. To do it well requires quite a bit of upfront capital. Good luck!
 
great domain, there are lots of analytical apps to track performance/pace, forum do take some work so I am in a simular situation with a "active lifestyle" domain, trying to figure out the best develoment model

great name

~ian
 
Thanks for responses - going to try vbulletin as I had an old license, Agree lots of work - will see where it goes
 
Update - Tried Vbulletin and was quickly and consistently overwhelmed by spam posters. Basically couldn't really approve any registrations without deep IP analysis. Russia / China / Ukraine etc. to the tune of dozens++ per day. I shut it down. I think forums are basically dead with all of the spamming going on.
 
Yeah, forums are tough to justify in the age of social media.

That is why most people start with blogs and become an authority voice in their niche.
 
I think you could possibly still do a forum style site. I would create a facebook page and direct members to the site and gear it towards information and a location based running meet up and race events. I have a few friends who are in to running and would love something like this.
 
Update - Tried Vbulletin and was quickly and consistently overwhelmed by spam posters. Basically couldn't really approve any registrations without deep IP analysis. Russia / China / Ukraine etc. to the tune of dozens++ per day. I shut it down. I think forums are basically dead with all of the spamming going on.

Yeah but there is a pattern to them. In a new forum (phpbb) there are few registrations so normal names or sayings are available. I could register gord or gordon etc. The spam posters use something like henrywright45637 or stuff like that. Easily identifiable. With that and setting the first few posts on moderate it can work. If the first posts are automated spam then I just do a mass account delete.

Here's a bunch I just pruned

rosalindel11, pearllo3, murielgf4, dianneki18, kendrazv2, caragg69, leonardoq16, alfredso2, hattieqd18, morgandq4, dannyap69, arlinehj4, robertea3, carlyje1, angeliarv1, bonitays2, bethanyjm69, eduardoyh4, priscilladv16, brittneyxf18, stephenwb11, coryqh2, bobbyrh2, claudiavz2, douglasdz60, codyon60, lilyuc1, jacquelynjh4

You can see the pattern above! No need to check the IP.

I also use the admin approval module. The email address (which usually doesn't really exist) has to respond and the accounts are not approved until they do. There is a section where the new registrations are and if they haven't responded after a week to the verify account email I just do a mass delete.

All together run properly it can take 20-30 minutes a week to handle. I'm proud to say I've only had one minor spam incident in 4 years.

The real difficulty in a forum is getting people to post. 1/100 there.
 
I forgot to mention that I also disallow Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail addresses which are responsible for most of the spamming. They get a message telling them to email admin for a manual setup. The ones that do come through are real people, not the spammers. You can then put a temporary OK on their address and allow them to register.
 
Congrats on the domain! That's a great one word .CA and it sounds like it fits you well. :)

A forum or blog would probably fit well with the domain and your love of running. A blog is a little easier to get started, but you do have a great domain for a Canadian runner's forum too.
 
(A year later from your post:oops:) I was looking at the site that you have up now Rob. How is it working out?

You haven't got any links to any running gear etc. Just curious why.

Nice clean easy to navigate site btw :)

Cheers,
Jim
 
Hi Jim,
Just set this one up the last month or two. Currently just a wordpress blog. I am mainly focused on adding content at this point. Hopefully in a few months :)
Be nice to see it get picked up by the search engines. Learning WP has been fun :)
--Rob
 
Yes it would....good luck with it Rob!
 
Back
Top Bottom