- Joined
- Nov 29, 2010
- Messages
- 45
- Reaction score
- 24
If you've run a domain through Atom's appraisal tool, you probably liked the number. I did too, until I checked it against what domains actually sell for. Here's what I found, and why I built my own AI domain appraisal tool.
In most of my tests, Atom, GoDaddy and EstiBot came back higher than TLD.is, and often higher than the sales history supported.
No appraisal tool is right every time, including mine. Sometimes a name sells for more than any tool predicted. That's exactly why the number that settles it is what similar names have actually sold for.
That's the difference between a free domain appraisal and an in-depth AI appraisal. Most free tools run your name through a quick formula and hand back a single number, with no way to see how they got there or whether it fits your domain. An in-depth AI appraisal looks at your specific name the way an experienced investor would: who the likely buyers are, how strong the extension really is, and what similar names have sold for. A free number is a rough starting point; an in-depth appraisal is something you can make a decision on.
The goal isn't to give you the biggest number. It's to give you the most realistic one, so you can price, buy and sell with confidence. If you've been holding a name at an Atom or GoDaddy price and it hasn't sold, a realistic appraisal may be the reason you finally close a deal.
Every TLD.is appraisal can also be downloaded as a signed PDF certificate with QR verification. Attach it to a marketplace listing or send it to a buyer as proof of how the value was reached. Anyone can scan the code to confirm the certificate is genuine.
A domain hack uses the extension as part of the name itself. Read it out loud and TLD.is says exactly what the site does: "TLD is…" what it's worth. The .is extension officially belongs to Iceland, but anyone in the world can register one, and it's become a favorite of founders who want short, clever names.
I'm David Ray, born and raised in the United States and based in Palm Harbor, Florida. I'm a domain investor and web developer, and I built TLD.is because I wanted appraisals I could actually trust. I just love the .is extension, and I couldn't pass up a name that says what the product does in six characters.
Whichever number sits closest to real sales is the one worth trusting. I built TLD.is to be that number.
I tested Atom against real sales
I took the same domains and ran them through three popular appraisal tools: Atom, GoDaddy and EstiBot. Then I looked up what comparable names actually sold for on NameBio, the largest public record of domain sales.In most of my tests, Atom, GoDaddy and EstiBot came back higher than TLD.is, and often higher than the sales history supported.
No appraisal tool is right every time, including mine. Sometimes a name sells for more than any tool predicted. That's exactly why the number that settles it is what similar names have actually sold for.
Why a high appraisal can cost you money
A big number feels good. But a domain is only worth what a buyer will pay, and an inflated appraisal can quietly hurt you:- You overprice and nothing sells. List a name at a number no buyer will meet, and it sits for years while renewal fees add up.
- You overpay when buying. If you trust a high estimate on a name you want, you may pay far more than the market would.
- You turn down real offers. A fair offer looks like an insult next to an inflated appraisal.
How an AI domain appraisal from TLD.is is different
TLD.is is an AI domain appraisal that shows its work. Instead of handing you one number and nothing else, it explains how it got there: the length and memorability of the name, the strength of the extension, the keywords, and how similar names have actually sold.That's the difference between a free domain appraisal and an in-depth AI appraisal. Most free tools run your name through a quick formula and hand back a single number, with no way to see how they got there or whether it fits your domain. An in-depth AI appraisal looks at your specific name the way an experienced investor would: who the likely buyers are, how strong the extension really is, and what similar names have sold for. A free number is a rough starting point; an in-depth appraisal is something you can make a decision on.
The goal isn't to give you the biggest number. It's to give you the most realistic one, so you can price, buy and sell with confidence. If you've been holding a name at an Atom or GoDaddy price and it hasn't sold, a realistic appraisal may be the reason you finally close a deal.
Every TLD.is appraisal can also be downloaded as a signed PDF certificate with QR verification. Attach it to a marketplace listing or send it to a buyer as proof of how the value was reached. Anyone can scan the code to confirm the certificate is genuine.
Why the name is TLD.is
People sometimes ask why an American domain tool uses a .is extension. The answer is simple: it's a domain hack.A domain hack uses the extension as part of the name itself. Read it out loud and TLD.is says exactly what the site does: "TLD is…" what it's worth. The .is extension officially belongs to Iceland, but anyone in the world can register one, and it's become a favorite of founders who want short, clever names.
I'm David Ray, born and raised in the United States and based in Palm Harbor, Florida. I'm a domain investor and web developer, and I built TLD.is because I wanted appraisals I could actually trust. I just love the .is extension, and I couldn't pass up a name that says what the product does in six characters.
Try it: compare your own domain
Don't take my word for it. Pick a domain you own, appraise it on Atom, then run it through the AI domain appraisal on TLD.is. Then search NameBio for similar names that have actually sold.Whichever number sits closest to real sales is the one worth trusting. I built TLD.is to be that number.