• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

DNF Monthly Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonDomainer

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2006
Messages
2,292
Reaction score
65
I think it would be real nice if we had like an auction each month. I think it would make the forum a bit more exciting. All names would be pre-screened by admins or Adam as to draw premium names- whether it's 10 names or 100 names, show would go on. I think this would work well especially as the forum starts taking and welcoming a more business and professional approach, drawing in bigger investors and players. I know we already have the auction section, but I think this would definitely draw in a more enthusiastic crowd.

Of course this is just a thought and would definitely love to see what folks think.
 
something like the namepros live auctions, but with names that are actually good... yeah I'd like to see something like that
 
Monthly would be very good - weekly (or bi-weekly) would be even better!
 
I hope it's not based on DNF$.
 
I don't think Adam or the staff would have the time to conduct the auction.
What we can do is asking Adam to borrow the chat room to conduct the auction .
We need at least two respected memners to volunteer to be the auctioneers and granted special permissions so they can control the auction.
Also we need to define auction rules first to avoid any misunderstanding.

Real money - no DNF$
 
Yeh I think its a great idea, I think Wired and JESports did one not too long ago and it went well. If it was planned to be every month, that would be great!
 
Another suggestion:- Have themed auctions, e.g only gambling names, or only LLL names.

Also make sure only the very best names are selected for auction...
 
Im not sure we'd have enough people here to have themed auctions, they might end up with hardly any domains in them, but maybe im wrong.

I think just a general auction would be better in practise.
 
I like the idea, but i guess all the admins and the mods have their hands tied with other things
 
I will gladly dedicate some time into getting the first auction off the ground. If that works for anyone else, Let me know.
 
If anyone is interested, I can code a php system for adding names... then we'd just need an auctioneer, and a time..
 
who's going to select 'good' names? That could be a huge work to do...
 
who's going to select 'good' names? That could be a huge work to do...

I would volunteer to do this. The problem is that everybody will get mad if their name it not chosen becuase face it, everybody thinks their own portfolio is the best on the face of the earth. . . . .

I would also suggest that each member can only submit ONE name per auction.

I would also suggest that all of the submissions be $1 with no reserve. That way you weed out anybody submitting ZQX.mobi for $1,000,000 and wasting everybody's time.

-Bob
 
Bob,

I can help out with sorting names too so no one will be mad since there will be two people doing this (they can't be mad at both person).
We need:
- Auction rules
- 2 volunteer to ve auctioneers
- date and time

So we can the first one.
 
I think the only problem with having a $1 with no reserve is that people with higher valued domains would probably be hesitant to put their domains in the auction.

I think you should let reserves be put in, but make sure there reasonable or their domain doesn't get into the auction?
 
who's going to select 'good' names? That could be a huge work to do...

Domains would have to meet a certain criteria, this is something we can vote on, Once we have that, we can vote in a member or mod to select the domains. Bob is right, members will get mad if their domains are not selected, Easy fix, Any crybabies who post trash about their domains not making it, will either earn infraction points or be banned from submitting.

Also, you need to place a limit on how many domains each member can submit, DNF does not have the manpower to sort through thousands of domains like Moniker does, whoever we place in charge should also be compensated for his time, so perhaps we can pay a fee per sale or something like that. ;)
 
Mod, please confirm if interested, and ill code an entire auction system...
 
.02:

I think the bidding process would need to mirror Snapnames with the extensions for bids entered at the end and bidder IDs shown to prevent, or at least limit, shill bidding. Then there also would need to be a system (maybe every bidder has a credit card on file) for collecting the winning bid amounts immediately so that fake bids don't ruin it. Does DNF want that responsibility?

And then the big one: who handles the escrow? Should all sellers be required to transfer names to say GoDaddy (since they're the most used registrar) prior to them being listed in an auction? That way the buyers can get them quickly pushed to their GD account. And does DNF hold the funds until that happens?

There probably needs to be some kind of rotating committee of volunteers to select the domains for auction each month. Maybe those serving can put 3 of their own names into the auction the month they serve?

Should there be a small fee to submit names to keep out the junk?

Who pays for the development of the system?

Big project.
____
Chas
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom