• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Do Not Use Paypal to Sell a Domain Name!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2002
Messages
4,063
Reaction score
23
I sold a name a few months ago. The guy split the total into one $1,400.00 and one $2,600.00 Paypal payment. Now he does a credit card chargeback on the $1,400.00 payment. Paypal gives him $1,400.00 of my money because I can't provide proof of delivery. And he's Canadian. My history with Canadians is they are not thieves. He's the exception.
 
Where is he from? I'll give him a call.

I'm a nice Canadian :)
 
prose said:
Where is he from? I'll give him a call.

I'm a nice Canadian :)


The thief:

[email protected]
INFocusHosting.com
Chris Johnson PO BOX 4281 Burnaby, BC V5H 2E6
Canada
(604)771-8804 Fax -- (604)771-8804
 
One for the "People not to do business with" thread, I think...
 
Fearless said:
I sold a name a few months ago. The guy split the total into one $1,400.00 and one $2,600.00 Paypal payment. Now he does a credit card chargeback on the $1,400.00 payment. Paypal gives him $1,400.00 of my money because I can't provide proof of delivery. And he's Canadian. My history with Canadians is they are not thieves. He's the exception.

Why can't you provide proof that the domain has changed ownership, from whois?
 
Paypal truly does suck.

A buyer bought 240$ worth of digital merchandise from me. After I delivered the merchanidse via digital download, a chargeback was filed. What do you know?

Even though I had proof of all correspondence with the buyer, paypal refunded the money to the buyer without even reviewing the investigation.

The result?

I am closing my paypal account. Period.
 
fab said:
Why can't you provide proof that the domain has changed ownership, from whois?

Paypal doesn't get involved in whois. They want a delivery receipt from a shipping company.
 
I just now started signing agreements with everything I do, just incase they try to screw me.
 
so how do you sign an agreement that will be accepted by paypal since they require a receipt??
 
I just now started signing agreements with everything I do, just incase they try to screw me.

I think that will only help you in court, but not with paypal; which will make the process expensive and lengthy.
 
I think with big transactions, its worth making a written agreement. Someones word is not worth a damn if its not in writing.
 
Unless you know the person from past deals, or know of them (reputable member on a forum for example), I wouldn't use Paypal for domain transactions over $500, considering you have absolutely zero protection.
 
When I sell a domain having learned from experiences like this, I always list as goods and the subject as 'Computer Hardware to be shipped '. Leave in the send to address and you are covered. If the other person questions it, say stupid paypal they screw everything up. Then laugh as you are covered. ;)

Greg, here's the VP of customer services direct line:

1-402-935-2269 Michelle

-=DCG=-
 
DotComGod said:
Leave in the send to address and you are covered. If the other person questions it, say stupid paypal they screw everything up. Then laugh as you are covered. ;)

-=DCG=-

Adam, what do you mean by that?
leave the send to address blank, or place the address from the whois?

Thanks.
 
Yes, I would also like to know how this works. How does this solve proof of purchase?
 
Paypal is the worst payment system which I've ever meet ,
I'll reccomend to do all trasanctions by www.moneybookers.com they have also escrow service
 
"Yes, I would also like to know how this works. How does this solve proof of purchase?"

By showing that an item was "shipped" regardless of the actual item (another flaw in paypal's system by the way, but a hard one to fix"), paypal should decide the chargeback in the seller's favor.
 
rentdn said:
Paypal is the worst payment system which I've ever meet ,
I'll reccomend to do all trasanctions by www.moneybookers.com they have also escrow service

The problem is everyone uses them, and almost noone uses moneybookers.
 
A typical paypal domain transaction with me is:

domain test.com

paypal setup:

Recipient's Email: [email protected]

Amount: $1000

Currency: U.S.

Category of Purchase: Goods (other)

Email Subject: Computer Hardware to be shipped

Note: Computer hardware to be shipped for test.com

Then hit continue and make sure you leave your shipping address in there or Paypal will say no shipping address provided.

Unfortunately you need to do things like this to CYA.

-=DCG=-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom