• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Does anyone here not actually own a domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyhead

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2005
Messages
132
Reaction score
0
Hi,
Just a bit curious and as ironic as it may seem but does anyone here not actually own a domain at this moment in time?
I'm one of these although I have owned domains in the past its just Im looking for that one name that will appeal to me and I believe it will be succesful... So until that day comes I better find somthing else to do :cheeky:
Matt
 
LOL..I hope you will own a domain soon.:)
 
monkeyhead said:
Hi,
Just a bit curious and as ironic as it may seem but does anyone here not actually own a domain at this moment in time?
I'm one of these although I have owned domains in the past its just Im looking for that one name that will appeal to me and I believe it will be succesful... So until that day comes I better find somthing else to do :cheeky:
Matt

You sound as though that "perfect" domain is going to magically one day walk up to your house, and ring the doorbell. lol You're certainly not much of a go getter are you? At least here at dnforum, you have a front row seat at watching the domain world, pass YOU by. :greensad:

-Joe
 
Joe said:
You sound as though that "perfect" domain is going to magically one day walk up to your house, and ring the doorbell. lol You're certainly not much of a go getter are you? At least here at dnforum, you have a front row seat at watching the domain world, pass YOU by. :greensad:

-Joe
Its a bit hard when you dont have the funds to buy those profitable names! :frusty: And you cant really go and get without the money to do so can you?:greensigh:
Matt
 
Joe said:
You sound as though that "perfect" domain is going to magically one day walk up to your house, and ring the doorbell. lol You're certainly not much of a go getter are you? At least here at dnforum, you have a front row seat at watching the domain world, pass YOU by. :greensad:

-Joe

Why so harsh?
 
monkeyhead said:
Hi,
Just a bit curious and as ironic as it may seem but does anyone here not actually own a domain at this moment in time?
I'm one of these although I have owned domains in the past its just Im looking for that one name that will appeal to me and I believe it will be succesful... So until that day comes I better find somthing else to do :cheeky:
Matt


What is a domain? :confused:
 
not to worry Matt, no one owns a domain name, we're all just renting.
 
I don't own any domain names.


But my cat on the other hand, owns thousands...
 
E-Promote said:
not to worry Matt, no one owns a domain name, we're all just renting.
That's so true! Take a Rocking Chair and relax. Searching the Name is the Game...:cheeky:
 
E-Promote said:
not to worry Matt, no one owns a domain name, we're all just renting.

Wow, what a truism. I'm sure most of us rarely stop and think about that. What we "own" are the registration rights, to a virtual address, but that "ownership" is limited to a renewable period (lease) of 1 to 10 years at a time. Our ownership rights can be challenged at any given moment via a udrp board of arbitrators, federal district court, or the registrar itself, which in turn can easily result in the re-assignment of those rights with little to no recourse at all. Additionally, our registration can be transferred or revoked for one of a dozen different reasons, including but not limited to, failure or a discrepancy in paying the renewal, invalid or stale contact information, an error, a technology blunder, a hacker or thief, etc. etc. etc.

We really own very little, and what we do own, is limited by a lot of fine text, loopholes, legislation, technology, and the entire world around us.

If real estate deals had as many question marks and uncertainties as domain name deals, no one would ever buy or substantially invest, in real property.

-Joe
 
Joe said:
Our ownership rights can be challenged at any given moment via a udrp board of arbitrators, federal district court, or the registrar itself, which in turn can easily result in the re-assignment of those rights with little to no recourse at all.
-Joe


Exactly Right! This is one fuc*ed-up system, when you think about it!
 
NameJet said:
I don't own any domain names.


But my cat on the other hand, owns thousands...
Ex wives and cats are very much alike.
 
E-Promote said:
not to worry Matt, no one owns a domain name, we're all just renting.


For practical purposes each of us "owns" the domain name. Call it what you want, but I would say that Microsoft owns MSN.com as much as anyone owns anything (no trademark arguments allowed). Essentially, a renewal fee is like paying taxes on regular real estate...if you don't pay you will no longer own. It's kind of like that IRS argument that you see once in a while where the guy says technically we don't have to pay income tax. The reality is different.

People who own their homes will find out really quick that they are just renting if they don't pay their taxes or their mortgages. It is all about controlling the asset, and as long as you pay your taxes/renewals you will control it.

In the world that we live in domains are owned. Call it what you want.
 
I don't lose a lot of sleep over the rental system for domains.
 
NameJet said:
I don't own any domain names.
But my cat on the other hand, owns thousands...

NameJet, is your cat the famous one that was a respondent in that hilarious WIPO case?
http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions/671304.htm

My favorite part:
"Respondent maintains that it is a cat, that is, a well-known carnivorous quadruped which has long been domesticated. However, it is equally well-known that the common cat, whose scientific name is Felis domesticus, cannot speak or read or write. Thus, a common cat could not have submitted the Response (or even have registered the disputed domain name). Therefore, either Respondent is a different species of cat, such as the one that stars in the motion picture “Cat From Outer Space,” or Respondent’s assertion regarding its being a cat is incorrect.

If Respondent is in fact a cat from outer space, then it should have so indicated in its reply, in order to avoid unnecessary perplexity by the Panel. Further, it should have explained why a cat from outer space would allow Mr. Woods to use the disputed domain name. In the absence of such an explanation, the Panel must conclude that, if Respondent is a cat from outer space, then it may have something to hide, and this is indicative of bad faith behavior."
 
E-Promote said:
not to worry Matt, no one owns a domain name, we're all just renting.

I'm thinking of subleasing my domains.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom