• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Domain expiration during transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockefeller

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
8,011
Reaction score
58
I know this has been asked before but I cannot find the thread...

I initiated a transfer of a domain name today (July 11th) and I just noticed that the domain name expires on the 13th. My transfer isn't expected to complete until the 17th. The losing registrar takes the domain name out of my account as soon as I approved the transfer so I can't renew it..What will happen?
 
I know this has been asked before but I cannot find the thread...

I initiated a transfer of a domain name today (July 11th) and I just noticed that the domain name expires on the 13th. My transfer isn't expected to complete until the 17th. The losing registrar takes the domain name out of my account as soon as I approved the transfer so I can't renew it..What will happen?

Check Verisign's Whois before panicking (assuming it's a .com). I had it happen once, and after I paid for the transfer, the name was renewed, even though it was set to expire before the transfer was complete. Verisign typically has updated Whois info before others. Good luck.
 
Good question, I think its at the discretion of the losing registrar, My understanding is the losing registrar would cancel the transfer, If the domain was removed from your account, it would return as expired but renewable.
 
If you could confirm the transfer with both the gaining and losing registrars in
that 3-day window, you should be fine. Otherwise, ask Core.

FYI, expired domain names can also be transferred among registrars, albeit it's
very risky. Hopefully Core won't do what Raider said (knock on wood).
 
Thanks guys. I've contacted both registrars. Dynadot, the gaining registrar, says that it will go through as long as the losing registrar doesn't manually stop the transfer.

CORE, the losing registrar, says "The expiration date which is shown in whois is not the local expiration date. That means, that we automatically renew this domain on registry side for another year."

Just got an email from Dynadot, the transfer is COMPLETE! It took one day, why can't all registrar be this fast?
 
I think it depends on losing registrar how fast the process takes.
1and1 was known for long processes of losing.

IMO: CORE turned out as good and fast guys.
 
The loser has no reason to speed it up, the longer it takes the less likely people will move them out.
 
They always go through as long as it is started before the expiration date on the whoi. I do it all the time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom