Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Two days ago, I bought 1 LLL.net, three CCC.coms, and one LLLL.com from a flippa auction. A user at namepros named jogal informed me of the auction and I decided to buy. He then transfered the names over to my godaddy account. The link is:
https://flippa.com/126393-YCI-NET-6...OM-YH9-COM---Short--Memorable-Domains-Package

Another seller had tried to sell these domain names to me in the past, but I hadn't realized that these were some of the names that were included in the auction as I deal with many domain names. After the purchase, the previous user on namepros by the name of "Means" messaged me in a very demanding and threating voice, claiming that I stole the names from him and to give the names back immediately.

In response, I messaged him asking him to explain how I stole the names if I bought them and was transfered ownership already by another user. In response, he repeatedly cursed and physically threatened me and my family (and he gave me negative feedback ratings even though we did not deal with each other at all).

I filed a claim dispute on paypal for the order and have contacted namepros, godaddy, and flippa. However, all play minor roles and cannot help me that much.

Both identities (jogal and Means) were from China and messaged with the same grammatical errors. Further, Means, no matter how much I asked to cooperate and explain, refused to do so and only continued to threaten.

Now, Means disputed the ownership on GoDaddy and they are holding the names from my account under a suspension. Someone also hacked into my dnforum account earlier, but, fortunately, I found out in time and reset the password. I think it might be related.

I feel that this is a domain name scam. A user contacts you to buy names for unreasonably high prices, you decline, then sells them through another identity for a very low price (after a long period of time). Then, through his old identity, claims that they were his and threatens if you do not give it back.

Has this happened to anyone before? How can someone steal a domain name seeing as how it takes authentication from both ends? What do you think is going on? What should I do?!

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

The troubling thing is the threats the user "Means" has made to my account. I simply asked him to explain to me how I could have stolen the domains from him if I bought them from another person.

Here are two private message he sent to me in response:
"Drop dead you. I have contacted Godaddy customer service, wait. I am not afraid of you, the thief dead family!"
"F*** your mother please!"

How should I handle this?

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did you contact flippa ?

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are flags that you should be asking yourself:
1. Seller does not accept Escrow payment
2. Paypal only
3. The price is too good to be true

Do not send Paypal payment to stranger. Use Escrow only

rmbdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
katherine, I contacted flippa and they have yet to respond (along with godaddy, paypal, and namepros)

Johnn, I agree with you and will definitely be more cautious in the future. I am relatively new to the business and thought that everything was legitimate until after the sale and transfer.

DaddyHalbucks, I think people need to be more cautious with Chinese sellers as they are able to completely remove their identity and hide behind the internet when they choose to. I have been scammed by a Chinese seller before, but not with domain names.

Hope, I have sent emails to everybody involved including flippa, namepros, paypal, godaddy, and both sellers. So far, no responses except for the threats from Means.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom