• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Domain tAsting

Status
Not open for further replies.

steitieh

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
2,071
Reaction score
1
Hey guys,

I've been reading around and landed on a page talking about domain Tasting, and they say that people are allowed to buy a domain, test it, and if they dont like it, they can return it for a full refund.

Is that true?

and if so, with which regitrar is this allowed? also, is it ethical?

Thanks,
Rami
 
Not a full refund. There will be a nominal fee. Moniker allows this. There are a few others. But I don't see it as unethical unless you abuse the system like some folks are doing.

It was implemented in case you registered a name wrong, ie: I regged augratinpotatoes.com thinking it was the correct spelling, but come to realize it wasn't so I deleted it and only had to pay like $1.00 I think? I'd rather that, than losing the $8.50 and having to stare at that name for the next year
 
It's true. Moniker allows it. I can't remember their policy right off hand, but I think they refund everything but a small fee the ICANN fee of 24 cents if you test and cancel a domain.

Whether or not it's ethical though depends on your perspective.
 
Just a small correction, its 25 cents. However, it only applies for certain domain TLDs (I can confirm .COM at Moniker, not sure about the rest).

Jason
 
Dynadot issues you a full refund, no icann fee or anything like that. Try it out, deletion is now automatic within the control panel.
 
GoDaddy will give you a full refund, as well.

Jason
 
If I wanna do that with GoDaddy, do I just click Cancel Domain (or Delete Domain, sth like that) in the control panel?
 
I like dynadot except they just credit your dynadot account and not your cc..
 
I get charged $1 per domain to delete them at Moniker - is this not right?
 
GoDaddy will give you a full refund, as well.

Jason

When did Godaddy start to allow deletions? Bob Parsons has railed against tasting in his blogs.

Moniker charges 25 cents and calls it an ICANN fee. There is no ICANN fee though for deletions. It's really just a processing fee. The money stays with Moniker.
 
I get charged $1 per domain to delete them at Moniker - is this not right?

$0.25

When did Godaddy start to allow deletions? Bob Parsons has railed against tasting in his blogs.

Actually he railed against other registrars engaging in that practice. They do it for free that's the problem(unlike us)....that allows them to massively taste thousands of domains at a time. I don't think there is anything wrong with any of us tasting any number of domains, as long as we pay our fees to do that.

Hey guys,

I've been reading around and landed on a page talking about domain Tasting, and they say that people are allowed to buy a domain, test it, and if they dont like it, they can return it for a full refund.

Is that true?

and if so, with which regitrar is this allowed? also, is it ethical?

Thanks,
Rami

Rami,

Go to your moniker account, register any name you want and then when you want to delete it just go to "My domains", select it, press the "Delete" button and follow the instructions.

You have 4 days to delete a name and get a refund. Moniker keeps $0.25 as processing fees and that is their profit for allowing you to taste names.

The fee is not for ICANN, as Duck noted above, ICANN does not charge any fee for deleting a name. A registrar makes a deposit of $6 to Verisign for each domain registered and he receives FULL refund if he deletes the name within the grace period(for registrars 5 days) so for them it's totally free.
 
Hmm, well I just got charged $9 for deleting 9 domains
 
What's the timeframe when you can delete it?
 
Hmm, well I just got charged $9 for deleting 9 domains

That's weird... do you have the special DNF pricing? Maybe the $0.25 is charged only to special DNF accounts?
 
Yup I've got the DNF pricing
 
So anyone has tasted at godaddy? do you just have to delete the domain from the account?
 
I called them to confirm, and I suggest that you do the same with GoDaddy.

Jason
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom