• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

donation to w3.org to get link on PR9 page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper

New Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
2,507
Reaction score
30
Few months ago, someone mentioned that $1K donation to W3.org will get you link on PR9 page.

Well, that's true, but...
It will not help your PR whatsoever.

How do I know that?
I was going to donate $1K to get link.
However, on step two of the support application, it clearly says...
"We instruct search engines to ignore links on supporter page" :-(

I was going to point the link to my PR6 site hoping it will get me
much higher PR on next update.

I am not going to give 1K for nothing.
I am not that rich :-(
 
You are right!

I had investigated this some time ago. :sad:

I guess a lot of people would pay 1k to get a sure PR8 on their own page.
 
I wonder why they would do that, though.
I mean, they will get much much more donations.

I am thinking maybe they just say "they block" and do not block SE crawl at all?
I am thinking this because lowest PR I saw for supporters was PR5.
 
I pay $700/month for a PR9 link. It increased me PR from 4 to 5, but this I do not care. But it made me #5 in Google, #4 in Yahoo and #3 in MSN for my most important and competitive phrase.
 
I pay $700/month for a PR9 link. It increased me PR from 4 to 5, but this I do not care. But it made me #5 in Google, #4 in Yahoo and #3 in MSN for my most important and competitive phrase.
$700/mth?
Damn...

Do you get discount if you do quarterly?
 
I just checked - they no more block it, it is indexed in Google:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/sup
I am going to donate...
Are you sure about that?
Be sure to check step 2 of the donation application.
Read carefully where it says put your URL info.

I used backlink checker for few of the supporters, old and new.
http://www.iwebtool.com/backlink_checker

Not even one supporter show link from W3.org
I am thinking W3.org put codes to ignore link on robots.txt ?
So, the support page is indexed, but, link is not read by crawler?

They'll send email after step 1 to proceed to step 2.

Please post result here :-)
 
Are you sure about that?
Be sure to check step 2 of the donation application.
Read carefully where it says put your URL info.

They'll send email after step 1 to proceed to step 2.

Please post result here :-)

I will but I do not care what it will say, I checked source code - nothing there and it is indexed in Google
 
I see in the source code of the sponsors page:
meta name="ROBOTS" content="INDEX, NOFOLLOW"
Anyone know if it count the links or not ? Probably does not, I did not see this before...
 
I see in the source code of the sponsors page:
meta name="ROBOTS" content="INDEX, NOFOLLOW"
Anyone know if it count the links or not ? Probably does not, I did not see this before...
Read my post above.
I added...

I used backlink checker for few of the supporters, old and new.
http://www.iwebtool.com/backlink_checker

Not even one supporter show link from W3.org
I am thinking W3.org put codes to ignore link on robots.txt ?
So, the support page is indexed, but, link is not read by crawler?

Further more, I checked "link:www.supporter-url" on google.
It doesn't show.
 
$700/mth?
Damn...
Do you get discount if you do quarterly?

Didn't ask for it, I think the price is good, it is on nature.com



Read my post above.
I added...

I used backlink checker for few of the supporters, old and new.
http://www.iwebtool.com/backlink_checker

Not even one supporter show link from W3.org
I am thinking W3.org put codes to ignore link on robots.txt ?
So, the support page is indexed, but, link is not read by crawler?

Further more, I checked "link:www.supporter-url" on google.
It doesn't show.

Yeah You are right, but they still got 148 people wasting their money - I see the links, it is all domations made for the link...
 
Believe me, I did all that research already.
No backlink from w3c is indexed.

If you are searching for prestige, it might be worthwhile.
If you are searching for a higher PR, you would waste your money.
 
Believe me, I did all that research already.
No backlink from w3c is indexed.

If you are searching for prestige, it might be worthwhile.
If you are searching for a higher PR, you would waste your money.
Who cares about prestige.

Perhaps this is why not even one supporters display w3c support logo?
They realized too late that they are not getting what they were after and got pissed off?
:-D :-D :-D

Humm...
I wonder how much statcounter.com charge.
 
Here is their official take on the matter ;
4. Will the link from the Supporters page improve my ranking by search engines?
W3C makes no assurances that sites linked from the Supporters program will see improved ranking in search engine results.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom