• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

For Sale Email about hijacked domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Messages
278
Reaction score
3
Two months ago I traded a premium.ca domain name for another premium.ca domain name. I just received an email from someone asking what they had to do to get the hijacked domain name that I received back.

I am assuming this is someone phishing. Does anyone else have any experiences like this?

Thanks.
 
I would not reply unless it is legal notice from an attorney office.

When trading - did you trade with a DNF member?
 
The initial contact was with a DNForum member, on behalf of another person. The trade was done with the other person, I believe it was an affiliated business, they had the same physical address.

That DNForum member still posts here and doesn't appear to have any complaints against them. When we did the trade, I gave them my domain first and they followed through promptly giving me their domain name.

I have just contacted the DNForum member to see what information they can give me. I just hate to waste their time and my time if this is just phishing, but I don't want to take any chances.

I don't know what safeguards are in place so that people can't just claim your name. I thought I read something about unchallenged complaints to CIRA within 7 days that can result in a Registrant transfer. I'm sure that there is a lot more to it than that. The last thing I want to do is lose time in court fighting for a name when I could be making money.
 
Sure it's not somebody who let their domain expire and just figures you took it because your name is on the registration?
 
The people that I traded the domain name for got back to me immediately. The name was dropped in a TBR. They also provided me with a tool that some of you are probably familiar with, archive.org, they have a WayBack Machine to see pages from the past.

The people that lost the name have loosely used the term hijacked.

I would assume that I am in my full rights to continue with ownership of the name.
 
I've even received similar emails for names that I've fresh-regged, not knowing at one point it was registered to someone else... Common theme was forgetting to renew, especially those who register for years at a time using an email belonging to an old ISP...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom