Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Enom catching .info (for whom??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In talking to Enom, they say they do NOT own PocketDomain and that they are an independent registrar. Upon a request for clarification, Enom reseller support says they have a lot of credentials, but PocketDomain is NOT one of them. Further Enom claims that it is NOT catching infos for themselves or anyone else at this time.[/B]

Probably think like this: Go Daddy doesn't exactly own Wild West Domains as
well. They're "legally" treated as "sister companies" who happen to use similar,
if not the exact same resources.

While WWD isn't owned by GD, it's probably owned and managed by the same
party that runs both GD and WWD. I'm sure you get the drift.

But if you asked them a "rephrased" question, chances are they won't confirm
or deny. Heck, they probably won't answer.

Domain Summit 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OFFICIAL WORD FROM ICANN
There have been no "ICANN adopted specifications" concerning warehousing,
So, as you see, this says "policies MAY be established". None have actually been established.
At least things are clear now. Registrars have a free rein and anything goes.
Now that they know (or can no longer ignore) are they going to at least discuss the issue ?

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At least things are clear now. Registrars have a free rein and anything goes.
Now that they know (or can no longer ignore) are they going to at least discuss the issue ?
I talked with ICANNT again yesterday, and they know and have known about the warehousing issue and how it presents a conflict of interest between the registrars and the public. They just don't care.

IMO They are there to make money for themselves, the registries and the registrars, not protect the public. That's the confusion here I think. Domainers thought that ICANNT was on their side, when they really are the enemy.

PocketDomain is an "accredited" ;-) registrar, whose owners do NOT want to be revealed. They provide only a "contact" via the law firm of Greenberg and Lieberman, and really have no website. They say they only contract with Enom for the use of their whois services as required by ICANNT, for whatever that means.

Estrange

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your precious info StockDoctor. So as a conclusion, we have to raise a white flag :(
Problem is, what if pocketdomain would decide to go after .net & .com domains? would we still have chance to acquire any domains at all?
I'm trying to grab some .infos nearly for 2 weeks and I couldn't get one! Thanks to pocketdomain!
Fairness... What is that mean?! :boxing:

checknme

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They provide only a "contact" via the law firm of Greenberg and Lieberman, and really have no website. They say they only contract with Enom for the use of their whois services as required by ICANNT, for whatever that means.
Their whois history appears to show full contact info from less than 1 year ago.

Interestingly it shows the owner as "Enom Registrar Holdings Ltd." and also shows the registrants full name and phone number.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some of you are really good at coming up with wacked out conspiracy theories. I have no relationship with PocketDomain or Alfena, but everyone knows enom only catches com and net domains. That leaves a registrar who is accredited in other extensions to catch domains in other extensions on their own or with another catching service.

There are more than a few registrars that catch names privately under contract for their clients and not for the big public services. That is what's going on here. It's not illegal or counter to any Icann contracts.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exactly.
4domains is working for snapnames for .com/.net and is catching .info/.biz/.us for their catching service.
domaincatcher recently leased their connection to a private party and is using 2 other registrars for their catching service.
The list goes on and on.

Some of you are really good at coming up with wacked out conspiracy theories. I have no relationship with PocketDomain or Alfena, but everyone knows enom only catches com and net domains. That leaves a registrar who is accredited in other extensions to catch domains in other extensions on their own or with another catching service.

There are more than a few registrars that catch names privately under contract for their clients and not for the big public services. That is what's going on here. It's not illegal or counter to any Icann contracts.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep. All kinds of private deals. It's not illegal, nor against ICANNT rules (if they had any)

It does bother me about the shift from the public and individual domainers to the deep pockets, and the whole secrecy thing. Nobody used the word conspiracy here, but there is definately a big lack of transparency in this business. You have to ask yourself why that is?

What I've seen is that a lot of the deep pocket guys came from spam, phishing, and blatant TM cybersquating, and they are using that "dirty money" to buy registrars etc. How soon will it be before there are NO drops going to domainers? Better put on your developer hats and get ready for a domain price increase from these guys and the registries.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep. All kinds of private deals. It's not illegal, nor against ICANNT rules (if they had any)

It does bother me about the shift from the public and individual domainers to the deep pockets, and the whole secrecy thing. Nobody used the word conspiracy here, but there is definately a big lack of transparency in this business. You have to ask yourself why that is?

What I've seen is that a lot of the deep pocket guys came from spam, phishing, and blatant TM cybersquating, and they are using that "dirty money" to buy registrars etc. How soon will it be before there are NO drops going to domainers? Better put on your developer hats and get ready for a domain price increase from these guys and the registries.

I disagree with your observation.

Initially it was domainers like Yun Ye et al running scripts to catch the drops. Pool+Snap+Namewinner muscled out the individuals and opened the market up to everyone who'd pay. The original players were forced to pay higher prices going through the public services for a while, but in the past year or two they've caught on and set up their own registrars ($20-30k up front + $6/name sure beats $1000's/name at auction).

Maybe some of them have portfolios with tm infringements, but that really has nothing to do with it.

The "lack of transparency" is because the people who got here first were smart enough to stay quiet and maintain some competitive advantage. The rest of us latecomers are left to jealously drool over their portfolios.

If you want to criticize someone, look at Enom and Dotster. They have gone from pure registrars, to public drop catchers, to two of the top portfolio owners. The registrars have become domainers and built their portfolios using the money we spent buying the drops they caught. And even that is fully within their right.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I suggest reading another private forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom