• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Ever think domains will abruptly stop dropping from registars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatherGood

DNF Member
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2002
Messages
454
Reaction score
1
ICANN apparently has no problem with registrars holding onto expired quality/traffic names for their own purposes and either monetizing them or selling them off.

The vast majority of name registrations are being concentrated into only a handful of registrars.

I think the next phase will be them just holding onto everything regardless of traffic and quality (quality within reason, 2-3-4 word generics,etc). If they all started doing it then the secondary market quickly become the only market. $6 isn't much of a barrier as we are seeing with tasting.


Something that dawned on me when feeling the pain from renewals.
 
Agree, I think it's coming (unless we develop some political muscle). I think we've already seen ICANN has absolutely has no problem walking all over domain registrants in support of the best interests of the registrars.
 
If they can legally do it why not? I would if I were them. For the domains that drop they are the gatekeeper - they can keep them for themselves or set up an auction service to sell them off to the highest bidder. Maybe it's time to buy the shares of big registrars. It's an interesting time to be a domainer in 2007...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom