Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Expired Name Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syd

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that the way in which the 'Expired Names' are detected is their lack of 'nameservers'? In a previous thread I expressed my confusion due to the fact that I was consistently seeing names on the expired lists that had plenty of time left before they expire (according to the Whois) ~ the one thing that these names have in common is the fact that they have no 'nameservers'; and the penny dropped! Would a name be falsely detected as on-hold if it had no 'nameservers' for some reason?

Cheers,

Syd.

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You are talking about Expired not "on hold" I think?

Expired domains have the exactly same info that none registered domains have ie none. Any info in the WhoIs means it unavailble right now. Your registrar's interface will also inform you if it's not expired when you try to buy it.

Syd

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Dotcomster,

We are using the same term to describe two completely things, by 'Expired Names' I meant names that have expired ~ not names that have been deleted. Although upon re-reading ~ I didn't explain my point very clearly; just substitute the term 'Expired Domains' with ‘On-Hold Domains’; this would have made it less confusing.

With all due respect Dotcomster I certainly didn't mean what you suggested. My point was: Are names falsely detected as being On-Hold by 'Local-Whois' and 'Domainsbot', if for some strange reason they have no 'nameservers' ~ but are nowhere near their expiration date?

Here are two examples (of many) of what I am talking about:

650.com & Freak.net

Take at look at the Whois for each name. Both names appear on 'Local-Whois' and 'Domainsbot' as ‘On-Hold’, but according to the dates on their Whois; they are far from expiration ~ but have no 'nameservers'. I am sure that there was a clearer and quicker way of explaining that (!) ~ but if anyone could shed any light on the issue I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Syd.

H

hosting3.com

this is the 'feature' of verisign tld zone files.... if domain has no name servers it's not in the list, thus looks like on-hold/expired for expired domain resource sites

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think you are both right - it is a bug.

Thanks for the example - it makes things easier. 650.com is on hold despite that fact that it expires on 2003-04-23

Name servers is an important and required field with most registrars - key word "most". Also Name Servers like domains do expire and can get "deleted" also by their owners.

I think this "bug" is to catch deleted domains specificaly. I mean domains that get deleted by their owners before their expiration date.

Syd

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation ~ unfortunately it seems a fair portion of the better names that I find on the expired domain resource sites fall under this category, & it would be easy to waste a 'snap' being fairly new to this... no more wasted 'snaps'!

Cheers,

Syd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom