• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Free Forum Software, I have a new favorite!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
The Originals
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
6,459
Reaction score
3
I had been using PHPBB for my free forums for years...and then a DNF member showed me MyBB.

Sample: http://community.mybboard.net/

I just started a new forum with it and I was amazed. So many complex features I thought were only available using paid software such as member reputation, auto generating thumbnails and easy attachment uploading. PhpBB might have these as mods, but MyBB comes stock with it all. There aren't many skins out for it yet, but even the base style is very classy and clean. Also, editing the look of the forum is very easy.

Another great thing about MyBB is I have heard it does great with search engines.

I don't work for these guys or anything, but I wanted to say I am loving their product as of now. No more PhpBB for me anytime soon...

Link: http://www.mybboard.com/

I hope you guys find this as helpful as I do :-)
 
I'm sure it not the most secure software and there are some minor bugs and other glitches...but darn, the features on this forum are amazing!
 
Thanks for the tip GT, I'm going to check it out. Cheers,

Acro
 
sounds great - thanks !
 
I think I will use it on one of my hobby projects
 
This is great, my members keep complimenting me on how much they love the new forum.

Quick reply, PM read receipts, the list of standard stuff goes on and on...
 
Does mybb have as many themes as phpbb? I tend to use either VB for my largest sites or phpbb for the smaller ones
 
No, the selection of themes is pretty minimal as of yet, but there is a section which makes the layout pretty easy to edit in the admin panel.
 
Nice find GT! It looks a lot like invision to me.
 
What do you think about SMF (Simple Machine Forum) - I like it
 
Well, I just spent an hour on each of my two new forums, one is MyBB and the other is PhpBB, the difference is amazing. I am actually upset I started the other forum as PhpBB because it is so inferior.

Thanks Steen, I was actually going to say that: MyBB is alot like Invision was before you started having to pay for it...
 
vBulletin is the best. Worth every penny for the security of your site.
Look at what forum software dnforum use... It's got to be a reason.
 
TECK said:
vBulletin is the best. Worth every penny for the security of your site.
Look at what forum software dnforum use... It's got to be a reason.


Like someone else said, this is a really good start up forum software. If you are just starting the site, and don't want to pay $160 for the script, they are saying this is the way to go.

I will use it on my next site GT. You know if mybb can convert to vb?
 
Thanks for the tip.
 
Shaggy said:
I will use it on my next site GT. You know if mybb can convert to vb?

I don't know this...but I would like to find out since if this is possible I will be converting all my forums...
 
If it does not convert, request it and they will create a converter, like they did with many free boards.
They are not stupid... if you are happy, they know you will talk about it to other people...
Like I do now, heh. ;)
 
GT Web said:
I don't know this...but I would like to find out since if this is possible I will be converting all my forums...

What I meant was if a mybb forums can convert into a vb forum, once the forum got big enough.
 
Oh sorry, not sure about that one yet...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom