• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Free internet access for all US residents from Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2005
Messages
1,556
Reaction score
19
Has anyone heard about the rumor Google is wiring the United States for wifi.
Maybe not the entire Us but major cities for sure.
Supposedly, All you need is wifi access and Google will allow you to surf for free.
I assume there will be ads everywhere.
And you must use their homepage.

Can anyone tell me if this is true?
 
I read something about this, To use it you will be required to use the google toolbar, But how long before hackers can find a way round?
 
yes its gonna be called "google wifi worldwide"
 
What is needed for WiFi? I wireless network conection, or a wireless adaptor that is able to connect to WiFi connection?
 
It will not be allowed because it is what we call a monolopoly :).
 
do u mean totally free? or is there any requirements
 
It will not be allowed? I think we will see about that, Google have money, Some people would sell their family for the right price...
 
I think they're doing beta with san francisco, but largely I'm not sure if wiring an entire city will be cost efficient
 
Google was approve to provide Wi-Fi only in Mountain View. They are bidding against 5 other providers in San Francisco.

It will not be allowed? I think we will see about that, Google have money, Some people would sell their family for the right price...

Microsoft has 40 billion dollars in the vault and that is not considered to be a lot of money. Compared to Microsoft, Google has pocket change now.
 
gariben said:
Google was approve to provide Wi-Fi only in Mountain View. They are bidding against 5 other providers in San Francisco.

Microsoft has 40 billion dollars in the vault and that is not considered to be a lot of money. Compared to Microsoft, Google has pocket change now.

Google has a ton of cash on hand to invest. Last I heard, Microsoft also has $40 Billion in liquid cash as well. This should help to paint a picture of how large GOOGLE already is compared to some other big names, and also why something like the free wifi worldwide idea could fit their strategy.

Market Cap List

GOOGLE - $120 Billion
TimeWarner - $85 Billion
Ebay - $65 Billion
American Express - $64 Billion
Yahoo! - $60 Billion
Sony - $36 Billion

Google is huge and does have a lot of cash to invest. Here's a quote from Google's IPO Prospectus:

"We would fund projects that have a 10% chance of earning a billion dollars.... Do not be surprised if we place smaller bets in areas that seem very speculative or even strange."

-source: BusinessWeek Magazine Dec. 2005
 
no thanks. i didn't user their gmail service because i don't want my emails inspected for content and cached on their servers and i wont use their "free" wifi service when it is available.

remember people, nothing is ever free. one way or another you WILL pay for it, either with your privacy or in other means.
 
Mocus said:
yes its gonna be called "google wifi worldwide"


this was a joke btw..I wanted to see if anyone went and reg'd it..lol
 
NameYourself said:
Last I heard, Microsoft also has $40 Billion in liquid cash as well. This should help to paint a picture of how large GOOGLE already is compared to some other big names

Market Cap List

GOOGLE - $120 Billion
TimeWarner - $85 Billion
Ebay - $65 Billion
American Express - $64 Billion
Yahoo! - $60 Billion
Sony - $36 Billion

Google is huge and does have a lot of cash to invest.
I like how Microsoft ($286B), Intel ($158B) and IBM ($134B) are left out. Google has some huge competition with MUCH larger liquid cash flows.

Regardless of the above figures, market cap is one matter, liquid cash is another. Microsoft has lots, Google, not so much (less than 1/5th of Microsoft).
 
Mocus said:
this was a joke btw..I wanted to see if anyone went and reg'd it..lol


I guess no one took you seriously. LOL The name is still available to register.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom