• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Full name domain names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2005
Messages
302
Reaction score
0
What do you guys think of full name domain names such as pa.in (for pain) or famo.us (for famous)? Do they have any real value? I think they'd be great for advertising and the end user would remember it easier. What do you think?
 
I tried that a good while ago - I had stuff like briti.sh and scotti.sh -- waste of time IMHO. Only site I can think of that's made a success of it is del.icio.us or whatever it is. Having said that, I still hold on to silly stuff like thetennis.net and thefishing.net that I've had for ages -- almost the same idea I guess.
 
These are called "hacked" names and are a real novelty. The question is, outside of domaineers that think they are cool, does the PUBLIC type in or search that way.

While "famous" is a great word, google will see is as "famo" for searches and it is certainly not a common typo.

While sufficient marketing and so forth can make virtually any memorable name successful, hacked names are not "natural" for traffic.

Doesn't mean it's not possible... just that it's not PROBABLE

Best of luck!

GoPC
 
Yeah as for search engine rankings, they might lack a little. I think you guys are right that they're not ideal. I don't understand how del.icio.us made it so well either since I can never remember how to spell it and I'm interested in that type of thing. I don't own any of these types of names but I did notice that all good ones have been reg'ed which made me wonder what the value was. Thanks for the input!
 
These names are kind of cool, but I think they will be hard to remember like where to but the period etc. Not for us domainers but for normail people who dont know all of the extensions etc.
 
I think in general those hacked domains have no considerable name-only value, but some of them can be developed very well.

I own a few of those hacks as well, the nicest of them being a hack AND a keyword:

megabit.ch
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom