Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Got my first dedicated server :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beowulf

off-topic, hehe. Just got my first dedicated server up. Now to see if I set up the DNS information correctly. Just hope the domain works tomorrow heh. I'm a Linux newbie, but the server comes with WHT and CPanel so it isn't that bad :)

The cool thing is that I ordered a Duron 1 Ghz with 256 MB RAM, but I got an Athlon XP 1600+ with 512 MB RAM for the same price. Nice compensation for being late in delivering it.

Was wondering if anyone can tell me how to active wildcard DNS on a domain, i am going to need it.

Another thing is, the reason for getting the server is to host 2 sites of my own, but if anyone is interested in some hosting let me know (features is everything normally on Red Hat 7.3; ssi,php,perl,subdomains,parked domains,mysql).

Feel free to post your ping results and location. Main IP is: 64.191.37.210

I get ping 130-200 from Denmark, while downloading in the background - should think that is near perfect from Denmark. My Connection is ADSL 256/256.

Domain Summit 2024

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
beowulf ... congrats! ... got mine a couple years ago ... I love the freedom ...good luck with it!

Shaun

B

beowulf

Thanks aactive,
Yeah the freedom sure is cool. No more having to pay for several shared hosting accounts, waiting for signups. Also with a dedicated I can finally provide direct downloads from moviecodec.com without using all my bandwidth in 1 day :)

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by beowulf ...Yeah the freedom sure is cool. No more having to pay for several shared hosting accounts, waiting for signups. ...

Yes, the freedom and other benefits are incredible. It's amazing more of us do not have our own dedicated server.

My cost per website works out to an amazingly low .40 cents per site per month!!

I have more than 300 virtual sites (mostly small 1 or 2 pg sites) hosted on my server and never had any downtime in more than 2-yrs.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, beowulf. They're so cheap nowadays, that most people can afford them ($100/month or less). I consider part of the cost to be self-education/tuition, to learn how to use Linux and operate the server and its applications, etc. In about 18 months, it's been a good experience with no real problems that I was unable to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom