• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Guys.. PLEASE recommend me some good managed dedicated hosts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2003
Messages
3,609
Reaction score
1
Ok.. here's the deal; I just moved from one host to another & am sharing the new server with my friend; the new hosts servers are good & everything.. run real fast & happy with all that.. but both me & my friend aren't real happy with a lot of the other stuff like they don't have enough support staff, they aren't contactable 24/7 & they don't seem very willing to help.. like anything seems a hassle to them.. I find this very irratating when we are paying them $379/month & getting this kind of service.. this is not to mention a few other issues I don't want to go into....

So anyway, me & my friend have agreed we need to find another host so we are looking for suggestions on decent hosts..

Cheers guys!!
 
thinkhost.com
dreamhost.com
[mod]no advertising or referral links in the lounge.thank you[/mod]
 
I've been using ThePlanet.com, and they've been fine.

However, due to their rapid growth, they're not taking any NEW clients at this time. You can go on a waiting list, though. Existing clients can get new servers, though.

RackSpace.com has a good reputation too (although I found they were more expensive than ThePlanet.com).
 
GeorgeK said:
I've been using ThePlanet.com, and they've been fine
.
yes, I second that.
Though I didn't use them before, some people recommended me www.atjeu.com and I will give tyhem a try.
 
I heard that ThePlanet had some issues recently; but are ok now.. anyone know anything about that?

RackSpace.com has a good reputation too (although I found they were more expensive than ThePlanet.com).

Aren't they self-managed?
 
orangefiber.com
servermatrix.com
servage.net

those are the topnotch.
 
Yeah ServerMatrix.com is good, I beleive its owned by ThePlanet?
 
superb.net is my favorite
 
Liquidweb.com all the way....I have one dedicated server with them and will be getting a second soon.

I would highly recommend them.
 
What about ValueWeb? Anyone had experience with them?

ThePlanet.com sounds interesting, why do you need to be on a waiting list to use them?
 
I've used sagonet.com before, they were quite good.
 
you can try cleanwebspace.com. i have couple of boxes with them.

:-)
 
I second liquidweb
 
Atjeu.com - they're not cheap but they're VERY good.
 
Thanks a lot guys! :-) As for LiquidWeb.. yeah, they were one of the hosts I considered moving to recently but their lack of live support & expensive overage charges killed the deal. :-(
 
the thing is, there are many good hosts out there (well maybe not many, but the top ones were listed).
The problem is when you want a managed server. Many claim that they manage everything for you, but I have yet to find a single one that does.
In the end, you have to get a 3rd partry company to manage it for you, which kind of sucks. Unless someone knows of a good company that is reliable and not too expensive.
overall I think servermatrix is the best.
 
I suggest iweb.ca
24/7 email.
24/7 phone support
tech support has direct access to data centre.

if they have to walk to the machine to do physical work (ie ssh is down) it's free mon-friday 9-5 and around $50/hr off hours.

they are publically traded so they care about there company image. cheap prices and no taxes for you americans since they are a .CA company.
 
I highly recommend Rackspace. I am a tech dummy, and they made it very easy for me. They even went to bat for me against AOL when I was falsely accused of spamming and helped me get it resolved quickly. Fully managed means fully managed. I loved their level of service and the price was fair.
 
since I am looking for yet another server (I am keeping my other ones, but need a new one), I took the opportunity to test drive the sales team of 3 of the above mentioned cokmpanies.
atjeu, liquidweb and rackspace.
the replies were as expected, mediocre.
when you start asking detailed questions the replies become vague etc... (which is true of servermatrix as well, which has terrible support BTW but the best servers IMO).
so, liquidweb answered very fast, but very short. almost like a yes/no type reply.
notice that their bandwidth is not 1600 GB but 800 in and 800 out...
effectively 800.
liquidweb could not supply me with a list of pre installed software, just with the reply 'what ever comes with the OS and control panel of your choice'. wow, rocket science.
rackspace was a disaster.
they werent sure what and if they support a software firewall..
their site is unbelievably complicated as well. and they offer 150 GB in similarly priced servers. their site is a maze that compicates matters because you need to jump from one place to another etc...etc...
atjeu: their reply was mediocre but better than average.
they seem to know what they are talking about but take a stand of 'we will install the firewall but its upo to you to manage it', while on the site they seem to indicate otherwise.
overall atjeu seems to have the edge, so it looks like I will get my next server from them.
BTW, there is a special running at servermatrix (owned by the planet, and both say you need to go on a waiting list to get a server) on WHT.
apparently they do have some servers (limited) and have some coupons for pricing. Servermatrix has an amazing infratsructure (same with theplanet) but terrible support.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom