• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

Having an offer accepted at Sedo that's too good to be true

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeeales

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2004
Messages
1,172
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,

I have offered on a pretty nice domain, and the offer was accepted. It met the asking price on the Sedo listing, but the asking price is WAY off the mark. The name is worth a lot more.

So now I have won the name, Sedo is asking me to pay. However, I don't really want to just yet. I know I can't lose my money, as Sedo will effectively broker the sale. Still, I don't really want the hassle of the deal going belly-up.

What should I do? Would it be worth contacting Sedo and asking them to further verify the seller beforehand?

EDIT: The Sedo contract tells me the seller is from Nigeria, which doesn't tally with the WHOIS. Nigeria is also known as a source for online fraud.

I appreciate any advice,

Cheers - Luke
 
Do a whois lookup and email the seller directly to confirm that he is infact selling the name. I saw a few names come up in the past few days that seemed too good to be true. PM me the name perhaps its the same one.
Matt
 
Sedo just informed me they cancelled the transfer. Pretty frustrating, but I shouldn't have even bothered matching the unreasonably low asking price.
 
That's odd because Sedo always gives me a hard time about my name not matching my whois. How did that one slip?
 
Nope, it wasn't Fish. Acronym, I am not sure. I guess they give you a couple of days to verify your ownership, in which time the domain still shows up on searches.
 
Can you tell us the name?
 
Nope, it wasn't Fish. Acronym, I am not sure. I guess they give you a couple of days to verify your ownership, in which time the domain still shows up on searches.
 
Do due dilligence prior to placing an offer.
 
until the domain is verified, it can not show up on Sedo as for sale.
only once it is verified can you place an offer.

Obviously here, something else happened, ID theft, domain theft, account theft...
 
Since the deal is off...what was the name lukeeales?
 
Sounds like it might have been SmellyFish.com?

:)
 
I've had literally 50 of those at Sedo. Last week I bought MSN.com from Bill Gates' Argentinian cousin for $87,000,000. Don't believe me?
http://www.blogs.org/1374881.pdf
 
Beachie, I see the amount, but don't see thE DOMAIN. Believe you in any case. Nice to know you've got that sort of spare cash.
 
It says domain msn.com in the invoice. lol

Great buy Beachie!
 
Beachie, I see the amount, but don't see thE DOMAIN. Believe you in any case. Nice to know you've got that sort of spare cash.


If Your doctor did write You glasses +10, then I suggest You to use them. Safer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom