• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

How do I drive traffic to my site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedwell

New Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2005
Messages
71
Reaction score
1
I know this is essentially the answer to life, the universe and everything as far as the good folk around here are concerned but I was hoping to get a few starter tips for my site.

I won't mention the name in case that's seen as advertising but it's a combination of the pixel advertising sites and Google Maps - think zoomable scrolling canvas meets the Million Dollar Homepage. The advantage is advertisers get 256x256 pixels instead of 10x10 - seemed like quite a good selling point.

In any event, I've put quite a bit of work into it and was so focused on the technical details that it didn't cross my mind that traffic might not arrive in the droves I expected. I've tried a couple of things - emailing large advertisers on existing pixel sites and offering them space for instance but I'm still looking for the magic bullet. I did buy a 10x10 pixel spot on the Million Dollar Homepage and have had quite a lot of traffic from it - maybe a couple of hundred visitors a day now I think but I need more to get the thing kick-started.

Anyway - to get to my point - what sort of things so people recommend in cases like this - should I purchase traffic or pay to get listed at various directories etc.

Sorry for the long rambling message - any thoughts or insight appreciated.

Cheers.

-S-
 
Are you actually getting this many hits from that site. When I have looked on the site, it either takes ages to load, or only loads a third of the page, and there are that many advertisers, you only get noticed if you have a huge amount of pixels...
 
I suppost 829,600 pixels would load slow on a slow connection, but it loads ok for me.

As for the question, why not write a press release? PRLeap.com URLWire etc.
 
paulc said:
Are you actually getting this many hits from that site. When I have looked on the site, it either takes ages to load, or only loads a third of the page, and there are that many advertisers, you only get noticed if you have a huge amount of pixels...

I don't get a huge amount - I took another look at the stats and it's maybe 100 visitors a day.

Mr. Deleted said:
As for the question, why not write a press release? PRLeap.com URLWire etc.

That's a good idea and something I've not considered. I understand the MDH guy spent his first $1000 income on a press release - I don't have that much to gamble but if there is a way to get something out that's a bit less exepensive, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the idea.
 
You can submit a press release for free at PRWeb. You can also start a blog and blog about it. Or contact webmasters of similar sites and offer them a cut of the profits. Just a few thoughts...
 
I read this post on the thread below this one.
Maybe you should PM him.
Mocus said:
I have like all the typos for this site..lol
 
websiteinvestor said:
You can submit a press release for free at PRWeb. You can also start a blog and blog about it. Or contact webmasters of similar sites and offer them a cut of the profits. Just a few thoughts...

Some nice ideas there - thank you. I was rather hoping the Ajax/DHTML/Javascript element of my site would give it the push it needs but that doesn't seem to be the case - people like simple :)

Cheers.

BobDiGiTaL said:
I read this post on the thread below this one.
Maybe you should PM him.

Interesting - thanks - He says $2 a day which isn't at all bad - do people really enter typos that often? I figured now aways most traffic comes via links and not typed in names.

I guess you've made it when you find typos of your site taken :)

Cheers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom