Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

How much money have you lost on domaining?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they say most people lost money in domaining, then how much have you lost on domaining?

Have you banged your head? How many times? lol

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Carry the 1, add 0, move the decimal point... excuse me while I kill myself.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I need to ask my accountant.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
After a pretty good sell last week, I think I'm actually about even... Nowhere to go but up from here!

untitled

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you don't sell it you don't lose any money!

I'd have to disagree. Money is gone from your account, and a domain is worth $0 until there is a offer on the table. Because if you are right, if I buy up a 100 million worth of the domains and I never sell them, I never lose the money.

Last edited:

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree. Money is gone from your account, and a domain is worth $0 until there is a offer on the table.

sar·casm (sahr-kaz-uhm) noun

1.harsh or bitter derision or irony.

2.a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a reviewfull of sarcasms.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree. Money is gone from your account, and a domain is worth $0 until there is a offer on the table.

This is true, especially if your domain name is not making any profit at all. That's a red in my book.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree. Money is gone from your account, and a domain is worth $0 until there is a offer on the table. Because if you are right, if I buy up a 100 million worth of the domains and I never sell them, I never lose the money.

Only apply if you buy crap names and can't sell them.
If you know how to pick names to buy and how to sell them then you don't lose money.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
im still in the Black

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, no none had lost money at all? This seems interesting.

What happaned to all the newbies? Did they just run away?

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, no none had lost money at all?

50 Dot Com's x ($8.67 USD) GoDaddy Discount Reg Fee = $433.50

You sell 1 Domain For $500 - you got 49 left to sell before they expire.

You don't have to price each domain for $500, you could sell them for $10 each and still walk away with a profit!

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
On paper, I'm definitely in the negative. I've bought hundreds of domains, and sold some, but certainly not enough to break even.

I'm still holding onto a number of them, as long term investments. I'm still just a hobbyist at this.

The reason why I've stayed in the game is because I learn priceless things, gain priceless experience, and set myself up to make a little money down the road by using what I've learned to invest wisely.

I really should be a bit more aggressive, but I started college a few weeks ago, and I've got quite a bit on my plate.

But that's one thing I've learned... you have to find the opportunities; you can't expect people will just hand them to you.

vinsdomains.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Newbies have a tendency to quit before they even get started.
I'll step-up as a Newbie and answer to that one. I started in February this year and made the same mistakes as most, purchasing a lot of crap that I certainly now regret. However, I've been able to sell several of those names on EBay to recoop my dough and make up for some others that will drop if they don't sell by next Spring (although you'll see them here in the $1 auction before they expire). In any event, I've learned some lessons quick by spending time here and there. I've learned to pick better quality names on the drop with age. Names that domainers and end users alike would likely want to buy. Names that aren't on anybody's list, thereby being the only bidder, thereby winning the name. I've sold seven names since I started doing that. The least I've made on a sale in a three month flip was 2.54 times more than I paid for it and up to 12.32 times far my best sale I've had so far. I've got two names at SEDO right now at auction JonWayne(.)com and HiFives(.com), both with bidders, and both which will bring me similar profits. While I have still spent more than I have made so far, I'm certainly making more money than any cheesy bank will pay me to hold it, I'm making new friends and creating another business, which as many know, has many other benefits...and with inventory still to sell!

I'm not trying to brag, but simply pointing out that it can be done and pass along what I've learned in a very short time.

1. No need to get greedy. I found domaining is like fishing, with the buyers being fish. There are many fish and many ponds. At the end of the day, fish don't like flashy expensive lures as much as they like free worms, or at least cheaper ones. That how I always filled my stringer.

2. Do some work to get your names out there. So far, I've had sales here, SEDO, EBAY, through Twitter and through my website, although I'm trying in at least a half other dozens outlets too, including brokers, newsletters and other means discussed herein this forum.

3. The daily published lists are nice, and I do occasionally bid from them passing along some affiliate revenue to each of them, but do your own mining too! That's where the uncontested gems are. As an example, over the last week, I picked up MrGun(.)com, ZinCity(.)com and MoonAcre(.)com, all registered in the 1990s, being the only bidder and using proceeds from my recent sales to fund the purchase. I guarantee I will sell those for a much higher price than I bought them, after I let them ferment for a little while at my registrar.

4. Do some SEO homework on your site and sites you develop. There's a lot to learn, but it isn't rocket science. You just need to learn something new everyday, which is why I'm dying to get some more posts from Adam at DNCollege - hint-hint. Anyway, within just a couple of months, I've been able to rank on page 1 of Google and more often than not position 1, for domain related keyword strings like Entertainment Domain Names For Sale for Vinsdomains and analytics tells me its delivering visitors. Not bad for a new hobby.

I could keep typing, but this is not my thread and not the topic of it either. Just thought I should defend us Newbies a little bit and share the love.

Good luck with College Maxwell!

Last edited:

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats a funny statement, that I don,t agree with, "Buy dot com, sell dot com" because I was late getting into the coms and soon realized it, I went for my .ca market, where I was able to do much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators