• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

How safe is Escrow.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameAlot.com

New Member
The Originals
Legacy Platinum Member
Joined
May 1, 2004
Messages
791
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone.

I've never used Escrow.com for domain name transfer. How safe are they for those large x,xxx plus sales and is there any caution I need to take using them?

Thanks
 
Escrow.com is the safest there is. Besides them, Sedo, Moniker has escrow services as well. All have their respective fees. You may want to learn about that as well..

Good luck on your sale!
 
Safest there is? How about after you push a domain, the buyer changes the whois info you the sellers and tells Escrow the domain was never transferred.

It is better to go with a service like Moniker, that acts as the middleman for both the funds and also the domain. They take the money, take the domain, send domain to buyer, and send money to seller. This way no one is ripped off.
 
The possibility of a whois scam is what I was wondering about. I like the way moniker does their escrow service. Think I will use them. Thanks JDK.
 
From my understanding, Escrow provides an inspection period, where all 3 parties, buyer, seller and Escrow verify domain transfer via Whois. Only then, do they release the funds.

If the scenario you provided earlier in the thread is based on assumption, then my reply above contends that it is not true. On the other hand if this has happened in reality, I am not aware of it. I can only speak from my personal experiences.

However, I agree on Moniker's security approach. But I assume, their fees are high for domain sales compared to Escrow.
 
Safest there is? How about after you push a domain, the buyer changes the whois info you the sellers and tells Escrow the domain was never transferred

While this was certainly a large possibility in the past, escrow.com (I belive) has recently changed their policy. Since the buyer actually has to physically push the accept button, once they do so, I believe it is written in the TOS that once they hit accept, they accept responsiblity for the transfer going through, and cannot back out of the deal.
 
Interesting. I can only go from what I have read instead of experience. I have used neither service for domain sales as I usually buy more names then sell.
 
try Moniker escrow , its the safest not Escrow. there r serious flaws with escrow like JDK pointed out.
 
I have used Sedo and Escrow.com. Personally, I liked Sedo's service better.
 
I've used sedo, afternic, moniker, and escrow.com... and direct wire transfer is the best (for the seller :-) hehe). I've heard of the escrow.com change whois stuff in theory, but never actually heard of anyone complaining about it actually happening. They charge the cheapest %, but Moniker's process is simply the most secure and failsafe.
 
I prefer Sedo to escrow - more personal and no US$40 international wiring fee.

If something ever went wrong security wise, I feel Sedo would be more responsive in getting things sorted out.
 
Escrow are okay for smaller sums XXX but if you're talking of large sums like X,XXX then Moniker would be recommended for additional security...at least that is my theoretical and practical knowledge witht their services...
 
Moniker sounds safer than escrow.

What if the domain is not at Moniker?
You can use Moniker only when domain is at Moniker, right?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom