Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

how to find out if article is unique or copied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Summit 2024

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Write it yourself.

ComScout.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Copy And Paste Some Of It And Do A Search In Google

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
thanks, other question - how bad is this to copy/paste articles?

will google ban or no?

im so fedup of retyping from printed mags ;)

ComScout.com

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Get Permission And Put A Link To The Copied Page Your Getting The Article From ... Courtesy Is A Must.

maregee

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

will google ban or no?

im so fedup of retyping from printed mags

Unless you have permission from the author and/or copyright holder, they're both copyright violations and expose you to anything from C&D letters to a DMCA complaint filed with Google and/or with your hosting company, which can result in them taking down your site.

There are plenty of free article banks and public domain sources - or here's a novel idea - write your OWN articles!

Don't steal someone else's work.

HWW

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

will google ban or no?

im so fedup of retyping from printed mags ;)

I believe there is also the risk of google seeing your page as duplicate content. Better options to using someones copyrighted work (and most writers check regularly) are:
*Write your own articles.
*Hire an article writer (some work at very low rates)
*Invite submissions from your sites visitors (letting them know first it will be used on your site)
*Use articles from article sites with the proper credit and links included.
*Buy PLR article content and heavily modify it so you don't get into duplicate content issues.

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe there is also the risk of google seeing your page as duplicate content.
Just to explain further...if Google sees it as duplicate content then they won't necessarily ban your site or anything, they'll just take that page out of their index.

And when Google is looking for duplicate content, they compare one PAGE to another PAGE. So, if you wanted to make sure an article you're copying can remain in the Google index you'll want to make sure that there's lots of additional indexable text on that page. I would say you would want to make sure pages are at least 25 percent unique.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
http://www.copyscape.com/
But you have to upload the article to your site first.
Type in the url of the article and it will show you if any other pages are using the same content.
A very handy tool if you are paying for articles or want to check if anyone is using your own copyrighted stuff.

yemm, good tool, shows copy even if you change the words, :blush:

going back to retyping from glossy mags (as they are not on internet anyways)
:undecided:

HWW

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yemm, good tool, shows copy even if you change the words, :blush:

going back to retyping from glossy mags (as they are not on internet anyways)
:undecided:

Sounds like hard work to me! If you decide you need an easier option try www.ArticleSphere.com [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
www.articlecity.com/
[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]
www.goarticles.com/
for pre written stuff available for FREE use

- or to hire a writer try
www.techreform.com
[/SIZE] www.ifreelance.com
www.directfreelance.com

at as low as 1 - 2c per word its most likely cheaper than investing the time to do it yourself :cool:

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain Newbie, as a writer I'm absolutely horrified that you have been typing up articles from magazines to use on your websites. As someone else said already, there are plenty of free articles to use without having to resort to plagiarism. Of course, these won't be of the same high standard required by the print media, and by the time they have gone round the web a few times will no longer by unique content, but you get what you pay for. And don't imagine that just because print and web are two different media you won't ever be found out. 'Glossy' magazines have a lot of prestige and sooner or later you are going to find yourself in legal difficulties over this practice.

Is there any hope that you are joking? If so, bad joke. It's too near the bone nowadays, what with so many pirates around. And there's really no difference between ripping off someone's hardworked articles and stealing domain names. :(

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Domain Newbie, as a writer I'm absolutely horrified that you have been typing up articles from magazines to use on your websites. As someone else said already, there are plenty of free articles to use without having to resort to plagiarism. Of course, these won't be of the same high standard required by the print media, and by the time they have gone round the web a few times will no longer by unique content, but you get what you pay for. And don't imagine that just because print and web are two different media you won't ever be found out. 'Glossy' magazines have a lot of prestige and sooner or later you are going to find yourself in legal difficulties over this practice.

Is there any hope that you are joking? If so, bad joke. It's too near the bone nowadays, what with so many pirates around. And there's really no difference between ripping off someone's hardworked articles and stealing domain names. :(

ehhse ;) i was just wondering, i changed my mind on retyping them now -too hard work- I'm just buying 'em :-#:

DDC_Cyn

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

People don't think reprinting is stealing, particularly on the web, but look at it this way. If I post an interview I wrote with Mr. Star, I might get 1,000 hits from Mr. Star's fans and they might click and buy from my ad links.

Now Mr. Star's fansite takes my story (because they like it and want to share, that's nice.) and posts it in its entirety to their site. Now, they're getting the traffic and clicks that would have been mine, had they posted only a paragraph and a link.

Yeah, it's morally wrong to steal someone else's hard work, but I find many people don't get it until you can turn it into dollars and cents.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but there's no other way to look at it: it doesn't matter what people think or don't think - reprinting someone else's work to use on your own site or whatever, without permission, is stealing. Whoever sold that article to the magazine from which it has been reprinted sold first rights, second rights, or whatever. Anyone wanting to use it has to buy the reprint rights. Your second paragraph about Mr Star's fansite makes no sense to me - it's no explanation whatsoever. What don't people get? It's for the author alone to turn his or her 'hard work' into 'dollars and cents.' As I say, how would any domainer feel if someone came along and stole his domain name? It's exactly the same thing. No ifs, no buts, no excuses. If you want to use someone's property to make money for yourself, you pay. It's as simple as that.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's morally wrong to steal someone else's hard work, but I find many people don't get it until you can turn it into dollars and cents.

Most don't get it till it happens to them, if it ever does (because first you have to write something yourself and then someone has to think it has enough value to steal)...

DDC_Cyn

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but there's no other way to look at it: it doesn't matter what people think or don't think - reprinting someone else's work to use on your own site or whatever, without permission, is stealing. Whoever sold that article to the magazine from which it has been reprinted sold first rights, second rights, or whatever. Anyone wanting to use it has to buy the reprint rights. Your second paragraph about Mr Star's fansite makes no sense to me - it's no explanation whatsoever. What don't people get? It's for the author alone to turn his or her 'hard work' into 'dollars and cents.' As I say, how would any domainer feel if someone came along and stole his domain name? It's exactly the same thing. No ifs, no buts, no excuses. If you want to use someone's property to make money for yourself, you pay. It's as simple as that.

I agree with you 100% but I find that simply telling people not to steal my work doesn't stop them from doing it. What has worked for me is to put it in a way that means something to the thief. This tactic doesn't work for people like RSS scrapers that are looking for a quick buck and don't care who they rip off, but there are those who simply don't know better.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To suggest that someone ripping off an article doesn't know any better is to suggest that this person is mentally deficient in some way. But he or she is not so mentally deficient as to be unable to make 'a quick buck' from someone else's work. Ignorance is no defence in law. I would have thought that pointing out that stealing an article is no different from stealing a domain name would mean something to a domaining thief, if anything would. I'm not sure how this has worked for you. How can you 'put it in a way that means something to the thief' before your work has been stolen, or when you don't know who is stealing it or going to steal it?

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, so now i gotta a writer (who would write exclusively for my w-site for % revenue share ), so now how do i protect my work from being stolen ?

and where to complain is something like this happen? as i know it will happen at some point, as he is a very good writer

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By putting a sentence from your author's unique text into the search engine, you should come with sites using his work. You then contact each one individually requesting them to remove the copyrighted material, or else to pay you X amount of money. You might be happy to ignore lower-ranked sites until they rise to the top - that's up to you. I think that this is better than seeking recourse to law, which is arduous and expensive. I have been told that you can also complain to Google but, considering their attitude to whole works by authors, which they are apparently seeking to make available free on the internet, I don't know how this would work.

By taking a stringent attitude to plagiarism ourselves we make it less attractive. Just because it is easy to do something doesn't mean it should be done. Would you steal someone else's domain name if you were sure you wouldn't get caught? That's the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom