• Welcome to DNForum.com - Domain Investor Forum, Free Domain Marketplace and a community for 45+ domain pros
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the oldest global domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 45,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, using our free in-house built tools, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

How to spot a stolen domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melmunch

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2007
Messages
316
Reaction score
0
Every once in a while, I see a thread discussing stolen domain names. Obviously, if someone gains access to your passwords, it wouldn't be too difficult to change whois info, or to push domains away from the real owner.

What is the best way to make sure that you are not buying a domain that will ever have claimants on it?

Through domain tools, I know you can check the whois as far back as 03, but is that far enough? Can a good name have been stolen earlier than that and you will be left holding the short stick?

Can you make the assumption that if you google "widgets.com, stolen" and nothing turns up, and the whois looks solid, then you are on steady ground?

I am just completing my first major buy, and this issue plagues me all the time. I am fairly confident that my valuation will make me some money, but I am nervous that it could be stolen and I have no way of knowing.

After checking everything I can, at that point, is it just paranoia?
 
Great question, paranoia is a good thing when buying pricey names. Cross your T's and dot your I's. If it's too good to be true it probably is.

Do a whois history. I like to buy from original owners or atleast from someone that has owned the name for a good number of years. PM me the name and I can run one for you.

Get the owner on the phone. Not a guarantee but chances are that a thief won't give out contact information.

Wire the money via escrow.com so that you have a trail of the money leading to a real bank account.

Ask the seller to fax you ID such as a drivers license.

If the seller balks on the above assume you may have an issue.

Good Luck!
 
You can't ask the seller to fax you an ID. That sounds like an identity thief yourself..
 
Ask the seller to fax you ID such as a drivers license.

I like this. Drivers license (photo ID) is best along with a brief signed headed letter outlining the agreement. ie confirmation of existing owner, the price and the domain name for sale. Check the history at archive.org.
 
I just bought a great domain of a gold member here, exchanged emails, and went thru escrow ....as long as there is good communication and escrow.com

you are all good to go
 
Thanks for the advice.
Webuy, do you check whois from before 03? Archive has some stuff, but I don't see any method of checking whois info from the 90's-2002
 
Thanks for the advice.
Webuy, do you check whois from before 03? Archive has some stuff, but I don't see any method of checking whois info from the 90's-2002

2003 is sufficient.
You guys are bringing domaintools a lot of business :D.
 
I just bought a great domain of a gold member here, exchanged emails, and went thru escrow ....as long as there is good communication and escrow.com
you are all good to go
Ofcourse if you are dealing with a "member" you have less to be concerned about but what happens when you deal direct with someone that isn't?


You can't ask the seller to fax you an ID. That sounds like an identity thief yourself..
Hey I'm in New York where they ask for photo ID when using a credit card in most stores. If you don't have anything to hide it's no issue.


I don't see any method of checking whois info from the 90's-2002
Check http://domain-history.domaintools.com some go back to 2000.
 
Hey I'm in New York where they ask for photo ID when using a credit card in most stores. If you don't have anything to hide it's no issue.

That's face to face which is different. You are just showing them your ID not allowing them to copy it.
It's not that you have something to hide, but you should know how to protect yourself against identity breaches.
 
Buy from me. None are stolen, nobody wants them, they are all crap.
 
WeBuyThe.Com said:
Hey I'm in New York where they ask for photo ID when using a credit card in most stores. If you don't have anything to hide it's no issue.
I live in NYC and the only time I ever have to take out my license is when I hit a dive bar that has a bouncer. The nice lounges I visit don't even card.
 
I just take out my American Express.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom